Have you ever imagined yourself as a quilter? You may be an aspiring quilter, learning how to sew to make a beautiful quilt for a loved one. Or, you may be an already experienced sewer and would like to take up the seemingly daunting task of quilting. Whatever reason you have for considering quilting, one thing is for sure; quilting is both a fun and rewarding activity.
But, just why should you take time to learn the technique of quilting? Well, to start with, you will be learning how to make some of the most beautiful products. This is because quilting usually produces very beautiful patterns and high-quality items, as compared to other types of sewing. Also, quilting is a good way to exercise your creativity and develop a sense of accomplishment. Do you need a special sewing machine to quilt?
In this article, we will consider some affordable sewing machines for quilting that you should consider buying. Read on, also, to learn about the features that you need to look out for when purchasing an affordable quilting machine, as well as the answers to the most frequently asked questions about quilting.
What Is A Best Quilting Sewing Machine?
A sewing machine that quilts work by stitching 2 or more fabric layers together, using a needle and thread. The fastening of these layers of fabric by the sewing machine creates a thicker and warmer piece of fabric. Quilts are usually split into 3 parts; the top fabric (also known as the quilt top), the insulating material (the wadding), and the back material (the backing).
Most beginners, and even some advanced quilters, choose to quilt projects by hand. Although not a bad idea in itself, quilting by hand usually takes a lot of time and can prove to be very tiring. This is why top quilters are recommended to use a reasonably priced sewing machine for quilting. Sewing machines for quilting not only help to save time but also require lesser effort on the part of the users. In today’s quilting sewing machine review guide will help you to get your finding much easier.
5 Best Sewing Machine for Quilting Review
|Product Image||Product Name||Features||Price / Primary Button|
Weight: 37.8 Pounds
Dimensions: 17.8 x 8.6 x 13.8 inches
Weight: 13 Pounds
Dimensions: 16 x 6.7 x 11.4 inches
Weight: 12.5 Pounds
Dimensions: 19.6 x 14.8 x 11.4 inches
Weight: 8.96 Pounds
Dimensions: 7.01 x 16.26 x 12.48 inches
Weight: 25 Pounds
Dimensions: 17.5 x 8.3 x 11.4 inches
With all the different brands and types of sewing machines sold in the market, just which sewing machine is best for quilting? The following is a review of 5 of the best inexpensive sewing machine for quilting that you can consider buying;
In case, if you want to get a quilt fabric update, check below.
1. JUKI TL-2000Qi Sewing and Quilting Machine: Overall Best
The JUKI TL-2000Qi sewing machine for quilt making is designed with a one-pedal operation. It provides a high power strength of 1500 SPM, making it an ideal quilting sewing machine for home use. The main difference between this JUKI quilting machine with the JUKI TL-2010Q is that; JUKI TL-2000Qi features a single tension knob, and lacks speed control, whereas the latter features 2 tension knobs and includes speed control. The sewing and quilting machine package comes with an extension table.
- This large throat sewing machine for quilting has been updated with LED display lights, which provide more lighting for a well-lit quilting experience.
- It includes an in-built automatic threader, which makes it even easier to use the sewing machine for quilting.
- The casting arm of the JUKI TL-2000Qi quilting is constructed using aluminum material. This heavy-duty material adds to the durability of the entire structure, such that it lasts for a longer period.
- The included extension table provides users with an additional work area.
- Absence of high-resolution touchscreen LCD
- The throat of the JUKI TL-2000Qi has lesser width as expected.
2. Brother CS6000i: best quilting sewing machine on a budget
Among all the brother computerized sewing and quilting machines, CS600i is the best mid-priced sewing machine for quilting that you can find in the market today. It offers users a wide variety of sewing and quilting features, all at a budget-friendly price. This top-rated sewing machine for quilting machine model comes with 60 in-built stitches, which consist of several decorative stitches and buttonholes of varying styles. This brother sewing and quilting machine includes a 25-year limited warranty.
- It is designed with the most user-friendly features, which make it the best affordable beginner quilting machine.
- The Brother CS6000i sewing machines that quilt includes an automatic needle threader, whose main function is to push the thread via the needle. This automatic feature, therefore, makes quilting easier and faster.
- The sewing machine for quilting features an in-built LCD screen, which allows users to easily choose their stitch with the simple click of a button.
- Technical support, lot of youtube video tutorials, and the associated 25-year warranty guarantee the durability of this quilting sewing machine.
- The tension on the Brother CS6000i easily develops issues.
- The quilting sewing machine tends to do one more stitch whenever the user stops stitching, creating large loops on the fabrics.
3. Janome 3160QOV Quilts of Valor Sewing Machine – best sewing machine for quilting and general sewing
This Janome quilting machine(3160QOV) is an ideal sewing machine for all types of sewing projects, whether home decor, or doing patchwork, or even quilting. It features 60 in-built stitches, which allows users to choose the range of stitches of their choice. Thigh high-speed sewing machine offers a maximum stitch width of 7 mm. Unlike most Janome long arm quilting machines, it also includes a large extension table for providing users with extra working space. It is easy to use and has a user-friendly control panel.
- This Janome home quilting machine has a clear LCD screen control panel. Quilters can press buttons on this screen to choose their stitches.
- It includes an automatic thread cutter, open toe darning, zig-zag, satin stitch, blind stitch which makes quilting much easier.
- The Janome 3160QOV quilting sewing machine is designed with a precision tension dial which makes it possible for quilters to set and maintain the tension.
- It provides high stitching speeds of 820 stitches per minute.
- The needles of the Janome 3160QOV require that they are replaced regularly.
4. Brother XR9550PRW Project Runway Sewing and Quilting Machine: Best for Clothing
XR955-PRW by Brother sewing and quilting machine package come with all the basic needs for quilters such as several heirloom stitches, 8 different styles of buttonholes, 110 utility built into the structure, and 55 alphanumeric stitches for sewing. This brother’s computerized sewing and quilting machine is a project runway limited edition, and it comes with a needle threader and a jam-resistant top bobbin. Almost all types of stretch fabric can quilt with this machine.
- The included needle threader is automatic, which means that the needle system does all the threading work for the user.
- The Brother XR9550PRW comes with an instructional DVD, which provides detailed assembling instructions for users.
- Free technical support available.
- The wide table of the sewing and quilting machine provides users with ample working space.
- It is designed with a large LCD, which enables users to choose their preferred settings and stitches with just a single push of a button.
- Some Brother XR9550PRW sewing and quilting machines do not include a self-threading needle.
- The bobbin case tends to slip out of position quite frequently, which is very inconveniencing.
- Absence of touch screen control panel.
5. JUKI HZL-F300 Sewing and Quilting Machine
This sewing machine for quilters is part of JUKI’s Flagship Exceed machine series. It allows users to easily sew projects of all preferred thicknesses, and in perfect stitches. The JUKI HZL-F300 sewing and quilting machine package comes with 16 automatic buttonholes. These buttonholes are easily adjusted and made accurate by a built-in electronic sensor.
- The sewing and quilting machine package includes 3 fonts and 106 stitches, blind hem, applique, and quilting.
- The JUKI HZL-F300 machine maintains a very simple design, making it an ideal sewing machine for quilting beginners.
- It is designed with automatic thread, as well as thread cutting controlled by a single pedal. This design simplifies the work done by the user, making quilting much simpler.
- The machine comes with an option for a wide extension table.
- The quality of the JUKI HZL-F300 sewing and quilting machine is not as highly durable as other machines.
- Doesn’t have overlock stitch ability.
Best Affordable Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine Buying Guide
Are you a newbie in quilting? If so, then you most probably are looking for the best cheap sewing machine for quilting to buy. The quilting machine you choose can make a huge difference in the quilting projects that you undertake. Therefore, you need to be very keen about which quilting sewing machine you buy. The following 3 considerations will help you to choose an affordable sewing machine for quilting, that will meet your quilting needs and prove to be a worthwhile investment;
1.) Consider Your Needs
This is the most important factor that you need to consider before buying a sewing machine for quilting. Do you plan on quilting as just an occasional hobby? Or, do you intend on making quilting a regular and more serious pursuit?
If you intend to use a quilting sewing machine as a casual quilter, you can go for those that have a simpler model, even combo machines. On the other hand, if you are a more serious quilter, you should go for a more professional and advanced sewing machine for quilting.
2.) The Length of the Arm
Regular quilting machines feature a standard arm of 7 inches (17.78 cm). These types of quilting sewing machines are most ideal for the free motion type of quilting, as they give users full control of their stitch length.
Longarm quilting machines feature a frame of 10-14 feet. These quilting machines are popular for their speed and ease of use, hence producing some of the most high-quality products while requiring very minimal effort.
3.) Quilting Machine Price
Price is another important factor that you need to consider when buying a sewing machine for quilting. However, not all expensive and fancy quilting equipment is worth your investment. You can still find the best sewing machine for quilting under $500, that meets your needs and specifications. The key to finding a good sewing machine is considering the features of the equipment and not the price.
What Type Of Sewing Machine Is Best For Quilting?
Of all the different types of best quilting sewing machines sold in the market, the most recommended sewing machine for quilting is the JUKI machine. The JUKI company has earned itself a good reputation in the quilting field, for producing high-quality and durable sewing machines for quilting. JUKI sewing machines are usually user-friendly, hence can be used comfortably by both beginners and the advanced.
The JUKI TL-2000Qi offers quilters with high sewing speeds of a maximum of 1500 stitches for every minute. This machine features both a quilting and free-motion foot. The JUKI TL-2010Q is also another ideal type of sewing machine for quilting. It makes perfect stitches at lightning speed, proving to be an amazing workhorse.
The following are other types of best sewing machines for quilting, divided into different categories;
- Best quilting sewing machine for beginners — Brother CS6000i
- Best budget sewing machine for quilting — Brother XR3774
- Best quilting sewing machine for advanced quilters — Janome MC-6300P
- Best sewing machine for large quilts — JUKI TL-2010Q
- Best quilting sewing machine for professionals — JUKI HZL-NX7
- Best heavy-duty sewing machine for quilting — SINGER Heavy Duty 4423
Well-Known Brands for Sewing Quilting Machine
There are different manufacturers that sell high-quality sewing machines for quilting. With such a wide range of options, knowing just which quilting sewing machine brand to trust can prove to be quite challenging. However, you need not worry about the best brands to buy quilting sewing machines from, as we have done all the research for you. What is the best sewing machine brand?
The following are the best brands that you can choose for your sewing machine for quilting;
The 6 above-mentioned brands guarantee to provide you with the best sewing machine for quilting and clothing. Also, these brands offer some of the best long-term warranties. These warranties guarantee the high-quality performance and durability of their sewing machines for quilting.
Even better is that; some of these well-known brands offer free online classes for quilting beginners! Considering the warranty, good customer support, and high-quality features that accompany the quilting sewing machines manufactured by the above brands, you can rest assured that investing in quilting equipment from these brands will be very worthwhile.
Features of a Good Quilting & Embroidery Sewing Machine
Before you can make any purchases of quilting machines, you need to first compare sewing machines for quilting. Why so? The market today offers different sewing machines with quilting features that also differ. Therefore, by comparing the different sewing machines for quilting sold in the market, you will be able to pinpoint the most ideal machine that fits your needs and preferences.
The following are some main features that you need to consider when buying a quilting & embroidery machine;
1.) Working Space
A good sewing machine for quilting is that which offers users a large working space. Such large working spaces allow for larger quilting projects to be created, and also ensure the production of outstanding quilts.
2.) Threading Feature
The best affordable sewing machine for quilting is characterized by an easy threading feature. While quilting a project, you will be required to change the stitch at a particular time. Good sewing machines for quilting allow users to easily turn the mid-stream stitches, such that these can then apply their custom characteristics.
In other words, quilting sewing machine units that have easy threading help to improve the quality of quilt projects, as well as make quilting much easier.
3.) Stitch Adjustment
Good quilting sewing machines allow users to easily adjust the stitch features, such as length and width. The most recommended sewing machine for quilting provides stitch widths of up to 7 mm. Adjusting the stitch characteristics helps to generate a wide range of design variations. More so, it allows quilters to be more exact when stitching.
Industrial sewing machines for quilting should be able to last for as long as possible with regular use, even for decades. Also, these good sewing machines for quilting should be able to sew for long hours, while maintaining the original stitching precision and design.
What Needle Size do I need for Quilting?
You need the right needle for your quilting project. Here is a list of needle sizes for sewing some common fabric.
|Fabric Type||Examples||Needle Style||Needle Size|
|Lightweight woven||Batiste, Voile, Oranza, Dupioni. Light-weight linen||Regular Point||Size 11/80|
|Lightweight stretch||Tricot, Jersy, Lingerie, T-Shirt Fabric||Ballpoint||Size 11/80|
|Medium weight woven||Quilting Cotton, Medium-weight Linen, Wool, Satin, Silk, Rayon||Regular Point||Size 14/90|
|Medium weight stretch||Ponte Knit, Sweatshirt Fleece, Synthetic Suede||Ballpoint||Size 14/90|
|Heavyweight woven||Burlap, Denim, canvas, Duck, Twill, Poplin||Regular Point||Size 16/100|
|Heavyweight stretch||Polar Fleece, Double Knit, Faux Fur||Ballpoint||Size 16/100|
What is the Difference Between a Quilting Sewing Machine and a Regular Sewing Machine?
Most people confuse regular sewing machines with quilting sewing machines. Although somehow similar, these 2 types of sewing machines are very different from each other. Quilting sewing machines offer more additional capabilities than those standard models offered by regular sewing machines.
For instance, a quilting sewing machine offers more workspace than its counterpart. Quilting sewing machines have longer lengths, which provide a wider working area that can accommodate larger and bulkier quilting projects.
Also, compared with regular sewing machines, quilting sewing machines offer more foot options for add-ons. Examples of such options include; walking foot, 1/4-inch foot, and decorative options. Most importantly, quilting sewing machines offer more speed and stability than regular sewing machines.
What is the Best Inexpensive Sewing Machine for Quilting
The JUKI TL-2000Qi can be ranked as the best inexpensive sewing machine for quilting. This quilting equipment ensures a fast stitching process while ensuring the precision and high quality of the stitches. It is also an ideal sewing machine for both beginners and professionals.
What Kind of Sewing Machine Do I Need for Quilting?
As a quilter, you have many options for sewing machines to choose from. You do not require a special sewing machine to make straight stitches or intricate designs. However, it would be best if you got a quilting sewing machine that accomplishes 2 types of machine quilting, that is, free motion and straight line.
How to Choose a Sewing Machine for Quilting?
To choose the best affordable sewing machine for quilting, there are several factors that you need to consider and remember. First, remember that stitch variety should not be a major deciding factor when choosing to quilt with sewing machines. Also, look for a machine that offers ample harp space, automatic thread cutters, knee lift, and speed control features.
Can a Simple Sewing Machine do Quilting?
Quilting sewing machines are advanced types of sewing machines. Therefore, even simple machines can be used to quilt. All that you need is to have the necessary tools and the desire to learn, then you can comfortably use your simple sewing machine to quilt. However, remember that such simple sewing machines lack the additional capabilities of quilting sewing machines.
What are the Price Ranges of Good Quilting Machine?
Good quilting machines come in all price ranges. They can go from $150 to $40,000 and more. The more additional accessories in a quilting machine, the higher the price. The price of quilting machines also depends on the type of sewing machine. For instance, long-arm quilting machines go for between $5,000 and 40,000, while traditional quilting sewing machines go for between $150 to $10,000.
What Stitch Length Should You Use for Machine Quilting?
The most recommended stitch length for straight stitching is 2.5-3.0 stitches per inch or 8-12 stitches per inch. However, using sparkling or shining threads for quilting may call for even longer stitch lengths.
What are Your Useful Tips and Tricks for Quilting by Machine?
If you are looking to improve your expertise in quilting, the following tricks and tips will help you do so;
– Pre-wind the neutral bobbins
– Pierce chains, to save both time and thread
– Increase your quilting accuracy by sewing precise 1/4-inch seams
– Save time by preparing and stacking pieces earlier on
– Maintain your quilting sewing machine by regularly clearing any lines and oiling the bobbin case.
Handmade Quilts Vs Machine-made Quilts? Which is Better?
Machine-made quilts are much better than handmade quilts. These quilts have better and more consistent stitching than handmade quilts. Also, Machine-made quilts take lesser time to create than their counterparts.
The art of quilting has been in existence for as long as we can remember. However, unlike in the past when this activity was done using a simple thread and needle, quilting has now been made more fun and easier with the development of modern sewing machines for quilting. Using Machine quilting techniques, quilters can now make more beautiful projects within just a couple of hours, even minutes!
Therefore, if you are looking to invest in a good sewing machine for quilting, we recommended that you go for one of the 5 above discussed best affordable sewing machines for quilting. These high-quality and durable quilting sewing machines are the best alternatives for hand sewing that you could ever find in the market.