All knitting projects have one thing in common: they require the use of circular knitting needles. It is no wonder, then, that circular knitting needles are commonly termed as the ‘workhorse’ for knitting projects. These needles are usually composed of two needles connected by a nylon cord.
Circular knitting needles are highly preferred than other types of needles as they fit with almost every type of knitting project. For instance, they are used to knit flat, as well as knit in the round. More so, circular knitting needles are designed so that they provide more extended areas for holding stitches, making knitting much simpler.
However, for your circular knitting needles to work correctly, you need to choose the best of the best. Read on and find out just which circular knitting needles are most recommended, as well as how to use these!
Best Reviewed Circular Knitting Needles
The following are the 10 Best Circular Knitting Needles guaranteed to give you high-quality functioning:
- 1 of 40" (102cm) ChiaoGoo Red Lace (Stainless Steel) Circular Knitting Needles, Size US 7 (4.5mm)
- ChiaoGoo Red Lace circulars are made of high grade stainless steel and come with a bright red, highly flexible, multi-strand, nylon-coated, steel cable allowing your yarn to easily slide end-to-end
- Each item is light weight and durable, precisely machined with satin finish with perfectly tapered tips
- Size is permanently laser etched on each item for added convenience and easy storage
- ChiaoGoo products are mostly made in Hangzhou, China, distributed from Troy, MI (USA) and adheres to the latest environment-friendly manufacturing processes; most products are 100% recyclable
The ChiaGoo circular needles are built using high-quality steel material. The package comes with a bright red cable, also made of steel material. This steel cable is both multi-strand and highly flexible, such that it allows the yarn to slide more easily from end to end.
- MULTIPLE SIZE CIRCULAR KNITTING NEEDLES: 13 pairs Aluminum Interchangeable knitting needles set kit, (2.75mm, 3.25mm, 3.5mm,3.75mm, 4.0mm, 4.5mm, 5.0mm, 5.5mm, 6.0mm, 7.0mm, 8.0mm, 9.0mm, 10.0mm),...
- VALUABLE KNIT ACCESSORIES: 8 pcs circular soft wire with different length(11.7inch 15inch 16.7inch 21.5inch), posting tool,extension kit,fixing wrench,positioning button,metal crochet lock,and knit...
- COMFORTABLE USING EXPERIENCE: The knit needle is made of aluminum alloy. The surface is smooth,durable,have no rough edges and glide easily through yarn, ergonomically designed smooth and soft handles...
- NEW EDITION: The latest version enhance and update the fastness of the cables connection joint, to secure cables and hooks tight fit. No more worry for loose the cables. Flexible memory-free cables...
- BEST GIFT: Gradually tapered tips and sharp points are engineered to slip easily into stitches. It's also perfect for pressure release, especially for those brain workers. A thoughtful gift for mom,...
Each set of these circular needles includes eight pieces of memory-free cables. Therefore, the needles have an added advantage over other types of circular needles, which usually include just four memory-free cables. When using the needles, always remember to use the cable keys to secure the tips to the memory-free cables and ensure they are tightly fit.
- Material: Bamboo,PE pipe
- Size:2.0 mm 2.25 mm 2.5 mm 2.75 mm 3.0 mm 3.25 mm 3.5 mm 3.75 mm 4.0 mm 4.5 mm 5.0 mm ,5.5 mm 6.0 mm 6.5 mm 7.0 mm 8.0 mm 9.0 mm 10.0 mm
- Suitable for knitting the current popular Korean version of the collar and large pieces of carpet,
- Used for Weave sweaters, hats, children's sweaters, pants, scarves, can also be used for woven
- Contains 18 pcs a set,different size kintting needles
The Tovot circular needles are built using one of the highest quality materials; bamboo. And it is not just any bamboo wood used to make these, but bamboo that has undergone fair processing and smoothening, such that it lacks any burr. You can start knitting your next hat project with these beautiful and quality needles.
- INCLUDES: 13 pairs Bamboo Interchangeable knitting needles set kit,(2.75mm, 3.25mm, 3.5mm,3.75mm, 4.0mm, 4.5mm, 5.0mm, 5.5mm, 6.0mm, 7.0mm, 8.0mm, 9.0mm, 10.0mm), accommodates different needs for...
- COMFORTABLE USING EXPERIENCE: The Bamboo Material give a strength and stability missing in regular wooden needles, while the smooth, burnished surface delivers just the right amount of grip to easily...
- HUMANIZED DESIGN: Flexible memory-free cables move with stitches and connect easily to tips for snag-free knitting.Be sure to use included cable keys to secure tips to cables and ensure a tight fit....
- INCLUDES 51 pieces in two rows packed in a faux leather bag for portability. Extra cable connector to meet your need of big or small size items,You can adjust the length of the cable...
- Gift&GUARANTEE: The needles andd accessories are kept in a cute case,ideal gift to your family and friends.The knitting needles set is backed by koknit.100% Satisfaction service,lifetime replacement
The KOKNIT set comes with 13 pairs of interchangeable knitting needles. Each of these needles has a different size, with the shortest needle size being 3.0mm and the most extended size being 10.0mm. The different sizes of the interchangeable circular knitting needles make it possible for knitters to accommodate different knitting projects’ different needs.
- PRICE: Includes 1 addi Knitting Needle Circular Turbo Rocket Lace Blue Cord 32 inch (80cm) Size US 04 (3.5mm)
- CONSTRUCTION: addi Turbo Rocket Lace circular needles were created for precise knitting and perfect for lace, sock and all-around knitting given the aggressively tapered all-brass tips, includes and...
- PRODUCT AUTHENTICITY: Item is designed and manufactured in Germany by addi for the North American markets designated by the Skacel package logo and Exclusive Blue Cords and exclusive ultra-pliable...
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: Item is covered by Skacel's lifetime warranty from any manufacturer's defect, deficiency or imperfection
Addi is a popular German brand in the knitting world. One of the best features of these Addi Knitting Needles is their sharp tips. These sharp tips are what make the needles perfect for intricate knitting. These needles come with a 40-inch cable, a 24-inch cable, and a 32-inch cable.
- Includes (1) carrying case, (1) 16'' Cable, (1) 20'' Cable, (1) coupler, (1) key, (1) needle grip, (2) stoppers, and (4) pairs of needles. Yarn not included.
- Needle sizes are: 7 (4.5mm), 8 (5mm), 9 (5.25mm), and 10 (5.75mm).
- Whether you're an Expert stitchery who wants some extra pairs of needles or a beginner looking for their first set, this all-in-one pack has you C!
- Combine with any of your own yarn to create tons of colorful and cool patterns.
- Packaged in a compact carrying case that's perfect for on-the-go crafting.
Both beginners and experts in stitching can use the Boye circular needles. The needle set comes packaged in a beautiful yet compact carrying case that can be easily carried and used anywhere. Other items included in the package are a 16-inch cable, a 20-inch cable, two stoppers, and one needle grip.
Although these are not interchangeable needles, the Knitter’s Pride Basix needles are the Best Fixed Circular Knitting Needles you can find in the market. The needles are fixed permanently onto the cable.
- Bundle includes 1 Clover Takumi Bamboo Circular Knitting Needles 36 inch Size 1/2.25mm with 1 Artsiga Crafts Stitch Holder 3016/36-01
- Each Artsiga Crafts stitch holder is made from aluminum and measures approximately 3.5 inches long
- Bamboo has a special look and feel which improves with age which makes these knitting needles an attractive addition to any knitting bag
- Feature smooth knitting right from the start, 60% lighter than aluminum needles of the same size so your hands will not tire even after long hours of knitting
The Clover Takumi needle set comes with circular needles of 36 inches in total, and a single 3.5-inch crafts stitch holder by Artsiga Crafts. All the needles are made of high-quality bamboo material, while the crafts stitch holder is made using aluminum material.
- Crochet without pain: stainless steel handles with the sleek surface are soft to users' fingers, comfortable to grip even for arthritic hands, stainless steel tips have no rough edges and barb so the...
- Selected material: these crochet needles are made of stainless steel material, which is durable and solid to use, smooth but strong joints, precisely machined with satin finish and tapered tips,...
- 12 Different sizes to choose: these yarn needles come with 12 different sizes for you to choose, namely, 2 mm, 2.5 mm, 3 mm, 3.5 mm, 4 mm, 4.5 mm, 5 mm, 5.5 mm, 6 mm, 7 mm, 8 mm and 9 mm, various...
- Sturdy circular wire: these stainless steel circular needles adopt flexible but sturdy circular wires, suitable for knitting kid's socks or adult hat; You can put a label on the crochet handle to...
- Enough quantity: you will receive 12 pieces of stainless circular knitting needles in 12 different sizes, rich size selections and sufficient quantity to meet your sewing projects in daily life, also...
This cheap circular knitting needles package comes with 12 pieces of needles, each with a different size. The largest needle is 9mm long, while the shorted needle is 2mm in length. If you like, you can also put a label or a sticker on each of the crochet handles to identify the different sizes.
- WHY choose our knitting kit - the join of the needle & cables are smooth and sturdy. Not break easily or snag yarns like other products. US size marked. Others only have mm marked and you have to...
- The kit includes 6 pairs - Size 15, 11, 9, 7, 5, 2. Each needle tip is 5.75" long. The tube is 28" long. Total length is 40" long, nice for bigger knit projects, like tank tops, scarfs, sweaters,...
- WHY CHOOSE STAINLESS STEEL CIRCULAR NEEDLES - super light and provide a smooth ride for your stitches.
- The circular knitting needles are stainless steel with semi-pointy tips. The cord is a hollow tubing. The tube structure makes these the best for knitting in the round with two circular needles. The...
- There is a steel odor to the cord. After hanging the needles and allowing them to air out, they are just as good as the high dollar versions in craft shops.
This particular knitting needles set features six pairs of needles; the most extended needle size is 15mm while the shortest size is 2mm. Each needle tip has a length of 5.75 inches. The tube set has a total length of 40 inches, making it ideal for larger knitting projects, such as blankets, tank tops, sweaters, and scarves.
There are very many types of knitting needles sold in the market today. When going to purchase circular needles for your knitting, you must consider the following two key factors:
Circular knitting needles can be made using wood, plastic, or metal. You choose the needle material that you find most comfortable to work with. To identify which specific material is best suited for you, you may consider trying out each needle material. Then, you can settle for the type that best fits your personal preference.
When it comes to style, circular knitting needles are available in straight needles, double-pointed needles, interchangeable and circular styles. Straight needles usually come in pairs and are best used for smaller knitting projects that do not require excessive bulk on the knitting needles.
The circular needle style is the most versatile. These needles can be used for knitting projects of different sizes. However, they are highly recommended for use in larger projects, such as scarves and sweaters.
How to Knit with Circular Needles for Beginners
Knitting with circular needles for beginners can be compared to a train that goes up the perimeter of a mountain. The train spirals up to the top, not stopping and turning, and in no time, it arrives at its destination up on the mountain. Similarly, knitting in the round involves fast progress that goes in a continuous spiral.
If you are new in knitting, rest assured that the process of knitting with circular needles is not a hard one. The first step is to cast the stitches. When casting the stitches, make sure to distribute these evenly. Remember, the very last cast-on stitch is usually the last stitch of the round. You can also place a marker at this part to identify the end of the round. Ensure that your stitches are even and avoid twisting them.
Continue casting on until you reach your set marker again. You will then have completed your first round. Slip this marker into your right knitting needle. You can now start working on your next round. Check this guide to fix unexpected knitting mistakes on circular needles.
If you are knitting using two circular needles, first confirm the number of stitches that your project requires. Then, cast on this specific number and slip half of the stitches to the second needle. Slide these stitches such that they fit the opposite ends of your two needles. Finally, join these ends and begin knitting in the round.
How to Use Circular Knitting Needles
Circular knitting needles promote high quality and precise stitching. However, you can only get these positive results when you use the needles effectively. The following are four tips that can help you use your circular knitting needles more effectively:
Ø The length of the circular knitting needle you use should always be shorter than your knitting project’s width size.
Ø Always use a cast-on method that you usually use, not forgetting to allow the stitches to slide down the needle on the left hand.
Ø After casting on, always ensure that the stitches extend around the cable’s entire length, reaching up to the needle tip on the right hand.
Ø At the start of every new row, you don’t have to keep turning your work over. After all, working in rounds ensures that the right side of your work always faces you.
How to Measure Circular Knitting Needles
Sometimes, circular knitting needles come without labels or stickers for showing their specific lengths. In such cases, how can you measure and identify the size of your circular needles? With a tape measure, you can easily measure and determine the sizes of your circular knitting needles.
When using a tape measure, always make sure to measure your needle from tip to tip. However easy this may sound, it can be quite challenging, especially for those interchangeable needles with varying cable sizes and tip lengths.
Some needle manufacturers mention the cable length, while others mention the cables’ total length with the needles. To avoid confusion, always measure the total length of the cables and the needles to make sure.
Also, note that the circumference of knitting projects is usually smaller than the length of the needle. Therefore, as a general rule, ensure that you always pick needle sizes that have a smaller length than the final project’s total circumference.
How do I Choose a Circular Knitting Needle Size?
If you are a regular knitter, you most probably have heard the notion that ‘the bigger the circular needle, the better stitches you get.’ How wrong that statement is! Each cord length and size of the circular needle has its specific purpose. Therefore, using the longest circular needles does not guarantee you perfect stitches. As a knitter, it is important to know the correct circular knitting needles sizes and lengths.
To help you identify which size of circular knitting needles is ideal for your project, consider the following chart that matches the most recommended size for each project:
|Needle Size||Recommended Projects|
|Size 1 and below||Lace|
|Sizes 1 to 3||Socks, shawls|
|Sizes 3 to 5||Socks, baby blankets, sweaters|
|Sizes 5 to 7||Gloves, scarves, sweaters|
|Sizes 7 to 9||Worsted weight yarns|
|Sizes 9 to 11||Chunky and bulky yarns|
|Sizes 11 to 17||Chunky and bulky yarns|
|Sizes larger than 17||Jumbo weight yarns|
What Circular Needle Should I Use?
When knitting from a pattern, you are encouraged to use the recommended needle size and length. However, if you don’t have a pattern than acts as a guide, you can consider the following two features to decide on which circular needle to use:
A. The Length of the Circular Needle
B. Material of the Needle
For beginners in knitting, it is recommended that you use wooden needles, such as bamboo ones. These materials are easy to grip. Hence yarns do not slip or snag. On the other hand, those knitters who have more experience would do well to use steel or aluminum needles, as these are smoother and faster.
Whichever circular needle you decide you use, always go for that whose length is shorter than your project’s overall circumference.
Knitting is an enjoyable experience. It is even more fun if you are using the right tools to knit. Yes, with the right circular needles, you can make some of the best knitting projects. So don’t settle for less; for all your knitting projects, use the above ten best-reviewed circular knitting needles, as only these can guarantee you the most excellent functionality and accuracy.