Are you an experienced sewer working from your own home? If you still use a regular home sewing machine as a professional designer, it is high time you considered upgrading to a commercial sewing machine.
Commercial sewing machines are also known as industrial sewing machines. These are the ideal types of sewing machines for professional designers and beginners who sew regularly. And, especially for those professionals who own sewing businesses, a commercial sewing machine can prove to be highly beneficial.
More so, commercial sewing machines have an added advantage over regular machines in that; these machines can support a lot of usages and multiple bulky projects. This is contrary to the regular machines, which easily tire and wear out when bulky and multiple projects are regularly sewn.
If you are still wondering whether you need the best commercial-grade sewing machine, then this article is just for you. Read along to find out why you need this professional sewing machine, as well as the best brands that you should go for when purchasing one.
Review of the Best Commercial Sewing Machine for Home Use
Many brands and companies manufacture commercial sewing machines. Of all these brands, four brands stand out as manufacturing the very best commercial-grade heavy-duty sewing machine. These four brands are;
|1. Singer||2. Brother|
|3. Juki||4. Janome|
The following is a discussion of the best commercial sewing machine reviews manufactured by each of the four brands listed above;
A.) Singer Commercial Sewing Machine Reviews
The following are 4 of the best commercial sewing machine for home use, manufactured by the Singer brand;
1. Singer CG590 Commercial Grade Machine.
- Sews at an Impressive 1,100 Stitches Per Minute - When it comes to professional work it is about quality and speed
- Stainless Steel Bed Plate - Made to Accommodate the Abuse and Needs of a Professional Sewer
- 18 Built-In Stitches Including a Four-Step Buttonhole / Free Arm Capability - Sew Pants Legs, Cuffs and other Hard to Sew Garments with Ease
- Drop Feed Capability - Free Motion Quilting to Old Fashion Darning is Easy with the Drop-Feed System
- Exclusive Electronic Foot Control - Guarantees a consistent speed with no jump starts. Includes a regulating dial that allows for slower speeds, regardless of the pressure applied.
The Singer CG590 is an ideal commercial-grade sewing machine for all types of sewing projects. Some of its built-in features include an automatic buttonhole with 4 steps, a drop-in bobbin, as well as a drop feed that allows for free motion. This machine also includes 18 built-in stitches, which include several decorative stitches, basic and stretch stitches.
2. SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960.
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features to allow you to fulfill your creative dreams Has a large selection of...
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle’s eye, in seconds The built-in needle threader threads the eye...
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has 600 Built-In Stitches including 5 Alphanumeric Fonts and 13 built-in 1-Step Buttonholes with Exclusive Buttonhole Underplate It...
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches-per-minute, projects can be sewn quickly
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of presser feet are included with the sewing machine: All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot with Underplate, Button Sewing Foot, Blind Hem Foot, Satin...
The SINGER Quantum Stylist’s 9960 is a computerized type of sewing machine. It provides users with a very generous amount of stitches; 600 built-in stitches to be precise. All these stitches provide users with a wide range of stitching options to choose from. This high speed sewing machine package also comes with many accessories, such as a walking foot, cording foot, button sewing foot, among other accessories.
3. Singer 20U109 Complete Industrial Commercial-Grade Zigzag and Straight-Stitch Machine.
- The configuration includes the SINGER sewing machine head, motor, and single pedal stand that comes completely assembled
- The extra-high sewing speed sews almost four times faster than a conventional domestic sewing machine allowing you to complete projects quickly
- The heavy-duty motor allows you to sew multiple layers of fabric easily
- Attached knee lifter allows for hands-free raising and lowering of the presser foot
- The versatile design appeals to a range of zigzag and straight-stitch sewing applications
Although the industrial sewing machine price of the SINGER 20U109 is quite high, the high quality of this machine makes it worth the price. The machine package comes with the head of the sewing machine, a high-powered motor, and one pedal stand. This included pedal stand comes fully assembled.
4. Singer CG-550.
- 25 Year Limited Warranty
- Motor 60% stronger than standard machine
- Exclusive Electronic Foot Control
The high quality of the SINGER CG-550 commercial-grade sewing machine is guaranteed by the 25-year limited warranty included in the package. More so, the machine is designed with a high-powered motor, which is 60% stronger than any other regular sewing machine. The sewing machine comes with 3 standard bobbins.
B.) Brother Commercial Sewing Machine Reviews
The following are 2 of the best Brother commercial sewing machine;
5. Brother CS5055PR.
- 50 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW features 50 built-in stitches including 5 auto-size buttonholes
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top...
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The CS5055PRW comes with 7 sewing feet, 3-piece needle set, twin needle, instruction manual and more
- LCD SCREEN: Simply select your stitches with the push of a button and view your selection on the LCD display
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT: The CS5055PRW sewing machine comes with Brother At Your Side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
Brother CS5055PRW machine is one of the best affordable commercial sewing machines that you can find in the market. It allows users to create different high-end fashions. Threading of both the bottom and top threads is also made easy and effortless with this machine. Using this heavy-duty machine, users can sew as many fabrics as they choose to. The machine package comes with a 25-year limited warranty.
6. Brother ST371HD.
- 37 Unique built-in stitches: The Brother ST371HD features 37 built-in stitches including an auto-size buttonhole
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top...
- Included accessories: The ST371HD heavy duty sewing machine includes 6 sewing feet, instructional DVD, manual and more
- Versatile free arm: This free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginning to advanced
- At your side support: The ST371HD sewing machine comes with Brother At your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
This particular Brother commercial machine is popular for the durability and flexibility properties that it provides. Heavy-duty metal material used to make the frame of this machine. It features a total of 37 stitches, with a higher percentage of these being decorative and utility stitches. The machine package includes a 25-year limited warranty.
C.) Janome Commercial Grade Sewing Machine Reviews
The following are 2 of the best Janome Commercial grade sewing machines;
7. Janome Treadle Powered 712T.
- 10 Stitches, 1 four step buttonhole, Top loading full rotary hook bobbin
- Manual thread tension control, Snap on presser feet, 5-Piecefeed dog, Drop feed
- Push-Pull bobbin winder, Extra high presser foot lift, Stitch selection dial
- Treadle foot control- requires no electrical power, ** A TREADLE OPERATED SEWING TABLE IS REQUIRED TO RUN MACHINE-NOT INCLUDED!
- Max stitch width:5mm, Max stitch length: 4mm
The most outstanding thing about the Janome 712T Treadle is that users can even sew with the machine without electrical power. The machine is designed with 10 utility stitches, as well as a single buttonhole stitch. More so, this Treadle powered sewing machine is built with a flatbed design which makes it possible to fit the machine into the existing sewing cabinetry.
8. Janome 1600P-QC.
- Presser Foot Sensor
- Memorized UP/DOWN Needle Setting
- Independent Bobbin Winder
- Variable Speed Control
- Automatic Thread Cutter
1600P-QC sewing and quilting machine feature one of the smartest sleek designs. It can be used for every type of sewing and quilting project. In addition to the high-powered service that this heavy-duty sewing machine provides, 1600P-QC also works quietly.
D.) Juki Commercial Grade Sewing Machine Reviews
The following are 2 of the best the Juki commercial sewing machine;
9. Juki HZL-G220.
- Box Feed - Industrial Sewing Machine Technology: In order to provide beautiful seams and outstanding feed performance, JUKI adopted box feed system. The conventional feed mechanism is oval motion. On...
- Capability to sew from light to heavy weight materials: No fabric shrinkage even sewing on extra light weight materials. Thick handle can be sewn with ease | Powerful Feeding: HZL-G series has...
- Wide Sewing Space: HZL-G series has a wide underarm space. It is more enjoyable and comfortable to work with large projects | High Quality Buttonholes: HZL-G series sews beautiful buttonholes...
- Automatic Needle Threader: The Automatic Needle Threader easily threads the needle without eyestrain and allows you to start sewing quickly
- Quick Bobbin Preparation:Just follow the guide and it is not necessary to pull up the bobbin thread | Other Features: LED Light, Fine Overcasting Stitch, Drop Feed
The JUKI HZL-G220 is the best heavy duty commercial sewing machine for home use that you can purchase. It is a long-arm type of sewing machine. This commercial machine incorporates the Industrial Box-Feed system, which makes it an ideal machine for sewing and quilting large ranges of projects. The main features of the JUKI HZL-G220 include a thread cutter, a bobbin plate, and a buttonhole.
10. Juki DDL-8700-H Industrial Straight Stitch Machine.
- ASSEMBLY REQUIRED, please note machine comes unassambled
- straight stitch sewing machine for medium to heavy material
- Max. Sewing Speed: 5500 stitches/minute, Max. Stitch Length: 5mm
- Needle: DB X 1, sizes 9 to 24
- will be delivered in 3 separate boxes, please only buy if you can get a mechanic to do the assembly,
JUKI DDL-8700-H industrial grade sewing machine allows users to perform close projects. This is because the machine can do up to 6 stitches per inch. The machine also applies the mechanism of Single Needle Lockstitch, which increases the precision and quality of garments.
Ultimate Buying Guide for Choosing Commercial Sewing Machine
If you are contemplating purchasing any commercial sewing machine for home use, it would be wise to first conduct thorough research. The following are some questions that can help you choose the best professional sewing machine;
1.) Who is the Intended User?
This should be the very first question that you ask yourself before making any sewing machine purchases. If you are an absolute beginner in sewing, then go for industrial sewing machines that offer an average range of stitches. Also, choose a sewing machine that is easy to use. Going for more complicated machines could put you off quickly.
On the other hand, if the intended user of the sewing machine is an experienced professional, then these would do well to go for more advanced sewing machines.
2.) What is the Purpose of a Sewing Machine?
The sewing projects that you plan on undertaking also greatly influence your choice of commercial sewing machine. If your sewing business specializes in making simple garment repairs and alterations, then a commercial straightforward starter sewing machine would do the job just well.
Sewing businesses that deal with dressmaking would do well to incorporate a commercial sewing machine with buttonhole stitches. On the other hand, if you deal with bulkier projects, such as home furnishings and upholstery, then go for a heavy-duty sewing machine.
3.) How Frequently do You Sew?
If you only sew on an occasional basis, then it wouldn’t make much sense to spend thousands of dollars on an advanced technical sewing machine. However, if you use a sewing machine for prolonged periods, go for heavy-duty sewing machines that do not include the cheap plastic materials.
Types of Sewing Machines
There are several types of sewing machines. Both beginners and professional designers need to have in-depth knowledge about the different types of sewing machines sold in the market. Having this information can help users to make the wisest choices on which commercial sewing machine to buy.
The following are the 5 major types of sewing machines;
This sewing machine is used for making lock stitches. These lock stitches are usually formed using a bobbin and needle thread. The Single Needle Lock Stitch machine is commonly used for stitch class 301. It can sew lightweight, bulky, and medium-weight materials.
Overlock sewing machines come with multiple overedge sewing of 3, 4, and 5 threads. Therefore, these sewing machines possess the ability to create different types of stitches, such as stitch classes 503, 504, and 512. The main function of the overlock sewing machine is to serge garment panels and make overedge stitches.
3.) Flatlock sewing machine.
A flatlock sewing machine is also referred to as a cover-stitch sewing machine. These machine packages come with either 2 or 3 needles. They create stitches, such as the stitching class 406. Flatlock sewing machines are mainly used on the hemming sleeve of the knitted and sewn products, as well as any other bottom parts of the garments.
4. Feed off the Arm Machine
This professional sewing machine for designers features 2 separate needle threads that make the chain stitch. It is used for making both the felt and flat seams. For instance, a feed off the arm machine can be used to sew the underarms and side seams of a shirt.
5.) Button Hole Machine
As the name suggests, these industrial sewing machines are used to make buttonholes on sewn garments. The buttonhole machines allow for the designing of holes of different stitch densities. Examples of garments where buttonholes can be made are shirts and trousers.
Sewing Machine Brands Available in the Market
It is not a bad thing to want to know where commercial sewing machines are manufactured. Looking into the reputation and quality positioning of sewing machine brands in the market can help a great deal in choosing the most ideal commercial sewing machine. The following are 8 of the top-ranked brands for the best commercial sewing machine for home use;
Factors to Consider When Buying a Commercial Sewing Machine for Home Use
When considering buying a commercial sewing machine for home use, you must know these machines’ different features. This is especially so since heavy-duty commercial sewing machines are usually designed with more advanced features than the regular machines.
The following are the main factors that you need to consider before buying a commercial sewing machine.
1.) The Type of Projects
Before making a sewing machine purchase, it is highly recommended that you first consider how you intend to use it. Ask yourself, ‘what kind of projects will I be undertaking on the machine?’ For instance, if your sewing projects involve garments, blankets, and making fabric repairs, go for an automatic or computerized sewing machine.
On the other hand, the more specialized sewing projects would call for more task-specific commercial sewing machines, such as quilt sewing machines.
2) Available Number of Options
Some commercial sewing machines are basic, yet others complicated. Those machines that feature a lightweight and simple design make the best beginner commercial sewing machine. This is because they lack any detailed comprehension that may confuse newbies.
If you are a professional designer, however, go for the more advanced heavy-duty sewing machine.
3.) Weight of the Sewing Machine
Even the most sophisticated and well-designed commercial sewing machines are not as important if these cannot be lifted and moved around. Therefore, when buying sewing machines, ensure that you go for those not too burdensome to carry around.
Also, the area where you intend to place your commercial sewing machine should comfortably support the machine’s weight without exerting too much pressure on the floor.
The best professional sewing machine enables users to slow down or increase the speed of their projects consistently. Some of these machines are usually designed with a foot pedal that allows users to apply pressure and set their ideal stitch speed. The computerized commercial sewing machines also allow users to preset their preferred stitch speeds and other capabilities.
Difference Between Normal Sewing Machine and Commercial Sewing Machine
The major difference between a normal sewing machine and a commercial sewing machine is that; while normal sewing machines are mainly intended to be used for a shorter time duration, commercial sewing machines are designed to be used for longer periods.
Also, normal sewing machines can only handle lighter and simpler projects, while commercial sewing machines handle even the heavier-duty workloads and intense projects.
Difference Between Mechanical Sewing Machine and Electrical Sewing Machine
A mechanical sewing machine can be described as a more basic machine whose settings are usually adjusted by manually twisting the knobs and moving the lever. These sewing machines make stitches of lesser precision and are neither able to perform stitches of decorative embroidery.
On the other hand, electrical sewing machines automatically adjust stitches and do not manually engage the users. These sewing machines also offer more built-in stitches than their counterparts.
What is a Commercial Sewing Machine?
Commercial sewing machines are more advanced sewing machines that offer more sewing capabilities than regular sewing machines. Unlike ordinary sewing machines, commercial sewing machines are designed to handle all fabric types, even the tougher and bulkier materials, such as coated fabrics and polyester vinyl. This is why the tough industrial products are made using the best commercial-grade heavy-duty sewing machine.
Which Sewing Machine is Best for Commercial Use?
The most recommended sewing machine for commercial use is JUKI HZL-G220. This equipment makes an ideal sewing machine for all commercial projects, whether lightweight or bulky.
It features a high powerful feed, which has earned it a good reputation as a high-quality free-hand embroidery stitching sewing machine. The 180 stitches provided by this heavy-duty commercial sewing machine provide users with a wide range of options to choose from for all their sewing projects.
What Type of Sewing Machine is Best for Home Use?
The best type of sewing machine for home use is the SINGER CG-590. This commercial sewing machine can also function as an ideal regular sewing machine. It includes 18 built-in stitches, providing users with multiple stitch options to choose from.
Also, the heavy-duty metal material used to make the sewing machine’s internal frame makes it a highly durable sewing machine, offering users a long-term service period at home.
What Sewing Machines Do Professionals Use?
Research conducted showed that most professional designers prefer the Janome 1600P-QC commercial sewing machine. This best professional sewing machine for designers has earned such deep respect and popularity due to the high speeds that it offers.
The sewing equipment boasts high speeds of 1,600 stitches for every minute. Such high speeds ensure that different projects are completed quickly, making it an ideal sewing machine for professionals.
What is the Most Reliable Brand of Sewing Machine?
Among all the top-ranked brands of sewing machines, the most reliable brand is the Bernina brand. The Bernina sewing machine brand has its headquarters in Switzerland. It was one of the very first brands to manufacture sewing machines that offer multiple functions.
Bernina brand manufactures all types of sewing machines, from those that feature simple starter levels to those machines and sergers that apply the more advanced technology. This brand has maintained its high popularity since its formation.
Which is Better; Singer or Brother?
Regarding the total number of stitch options, the Singer sewing machines are better than Brother sewing machines, having 40 additional stitch options. However, in terms of the types of stitches, the Brother sewing machines are better as they possess more different stitch types than their counterparts. The Singer sewing machines are limited in the types of stitches they offer, having most of their stitches as decorative stitches.
Therefore, if you intend to specialize in decorative stitching of garments, you’ll want to go for a Singer sewing machine. Unlike the Brother sewing machine, which offers only 20 decorative stitches, this machine provides users with 76 of these.
On the other hand, if you intend to specialize in quilting, you would choose the Brother sewing machine. This is because the machine comes with a table accessory and also consists of 7 built-in quilting stitches.
Can You Quilt on an Industrial Sewing Machine?
Whether you can piece a quilt on an industrial sewing machine depends on the pattern you intend to make. The fast speeds of the industrial sewing machine could either work for you or even against you. This is so because most quilt projects include curves in both the piecing and quilting activities, contrary to the straight line sewing of industrial sewing machines.
Therefore, quilting and home sewing machines are more preferred for quilting than industrial sewing machines. Such quilting sewing machines allow users to have complete control of the quilting and piecing processes.
Are Computerized Sewing Machines Better?
Compared with mechanical sewing machines, computerized sewing machines are much better in design and functionality. It is undeniable that mechanical sewing machines perform simple home repairs and other basic sewing machine projects. However, the computerized sewing machines offer more stitching options than these other sewing machines.
Also, computerized sewing machines work more smoothly than mechanical ones. More so, unlike the mechanical sewing machines, which include a foot pedal to control the stitching speed, computerized sewing machines feature a start and stop button built at the front part of the equipment. This start/stop button makes it easier for users to set and adjust their stitch speeds.
Some people hold to the belief that commercial sewing machines only function to produce more elegant stitches. However, these commercial-grade sewing machines have more uses than just producing high-quality stitches.
For instance, these machines enable users to work on their projects faster, hence meeting their deadlines in time. Also, these sewing machines’ advanced features allow users to customize and make precise specifications of their projects.
Therefore, if you are a regular sewer, the best decision you could make would be to get yourself one of the ten above discussed best commercial sewing machines for home use. With one of these sewing machines in your home, you won’t even notice your projects’ bulkiness; all that you will notice is the higher profits you generate from your high-quality work!