Knitting is one of the best pastime activities you can engage in. Especially during those long, cold winter days, knitting can keep you busy and help you relax while still enjoying the comfort of your home.
However, unless you are among the experienced knitters, the process of knitting can seem very daunting. There are different types of yarns, more than a hundred types of needles, different stitches, among other technical tools. There are just so many knitting accessories sold in the market that most beginners don’t know where to start.
The good news is, you don’t have to stress too much about what items to buy. Instead, all you need to do is get yourself one knitting for beginner’s kit. Knits kits usually consist of all the essential things you need to start knitting. Therefore, these kits save you all the time and energy you would spend looking for individual knitting tools.
This article provides a guide to the best knitting kits for beginners you should buy and frequently asked questions about these kits. Read on!
What Type of Kits Require for a Beginner Knitter?
As a beginner, you will require a knit kits that provide you with all the necessary tools you need to start crafting. Some essential tools included in the beginner kit are balls of yarn, needles, and sewing needles for finishing projects.
Also, beginner knitters should choose kits with instructions, such as different knitting patterns or cast stitches. These instructions can help beginners develop their skills and become pros within a short time. Therefore, when choosing beginner knitting kits, go for those which come with all the necessary tools and instructions.
Review and List Of Best Knitting kits For Beginners
The following are ten of the best-ranked knitting for beginners kits:
1. Learning Knitting Teacher Kit
- This kit contains the essentials you need to get you started knitting
- Kit contains two pair of susan bates silvalume 10in knitting needles (us 7 and 10, 4-1/2mm and 6mm), a cable needle, two yarn needles, one stitch holder, five yarn bobs, two regular and two bulky...
- An instruction book with simple instructions and clear diagrams make learning easy
- The book contains more than thirty projects to make and includes left hand instructions
The Learning knitting tool kit comes with all the essential tools you need to start knitting. It consists of two yarn needles, two pairs of 10-inch needles, five yarn bobs, a knit check, a stitch holder, and a cable needle.
The knits kit also includes an instruction book with clear pictures, photo illustrations, and steps for the knitting craft. Left-handed knitters can also benefit from this book, as it contains left-hand knitting instructions. The learning kit contains approximately thirty projects, which give beginners the skills and experience they need.
2. Susan Bates Bates Needles Learn Circular Knitting Kit
- Susan Bates supply you with all the important tools and instructions you need to learn a new craft. Learn knitting with circular needles kit- knit easily with less wrist strain on circular needles. 20...
- Washing Instructions: Machine Wash Cold/Tumble Dry Low
This knitting kit comes with circular needles of US sizes 8″ and 10″. However, the Susan Bates kit doesn’t just provide you with all the essential tools you require to start knitting; it also provides you with basic knitting instructions to help you learn this new craft. These instructions constitute both right-hand and left-hand knits basics.
Also, the instruction manual consists of more than 100 color tutorials with photos and illustrations. These make the learning process much more comfortable and fun. The instruction booklet is only 44 pages long; hence, it is very convenient for those beginners looking to learn the craft more quickly.
3. Boye Beginners Teach Yourself Knitting Set
- Boye beginners teach yourself knitting set
- In addition to -inch taught myself knitting-inch book, 2 sets of knitting needles (sizes 6 and 8), cable stitch needle, tapestry yarn needles
- Accessories: knit tally, stitch holder, 1/4-inch cab one rings, point protectors, knit gauge
- Founded in 1906, Boye Needle Company was the first American manufacturer of crochet hooks and knitting needles
- Boye beginners teach yourself knitting set
Boye Beginners knitting set includes necessary accessories, such as a stitch holder, tapestry needles, a knits gauge, point projectors, cable stitch needles, a knits tally, a pair of knitting needles, and cab rings, each having a size of 0.25 inches.
In addition to the essential tools, the Boye beginner knitting kit comes with an instruction book that can teach beginners all the basics of knitting. It also consists of projects of different sizes that the new crafters can practice and develop their skills.
The needles included in the knitting set are of two different sizes: sizes 6 and 8. The different sizes make it possible to use the needles on a wide variety of projects.
4. Athena YY Knitting Accessories Knitting Kit
- WHY CHOOSE this Knitting Crochet Accessories and Tools Kit- REASON A - The yarn cutter of the basic knitting crochet tools set comes with a safety cap. Much safer to store it with so many crochet and...
- REASON B - We designed a unique knitting notions and supplies organizer bag and handy case for you. When you do knitting and crochet project works,you can hold all your knitting tool kits in your case...
- REASON C - great selection of knitting accessories in one basic handy case, have almost all your knitting bits and pieces together, the sort that are easily lost when you?¡¥re done with it. This...
- WHAT'S in Basic Knitting Tools Accessories Supplies With Case Knit Kit Lots - 1*yarn scissors 3*cable stitch knitting holders needles 2*aluminum yarn stitch holders 1*crochet double ended hooks 1*tape...
- Note - All colors of the basic knitting tools accessories are sent at random, may not be same with the pictures, thank you for understanding. Compact case design to hook into the knitted or crocheted...
One of the best things about the Athena YY knitting kit is that it can also be used as crocheting for beginners’ kit. In other words, this kit is ideal for all beginners, irrespective of the particular craft that they wish to learn and specialize in.
Among the many basic knitting and crochet tools included in this kit is the yarn cutter. What makes this yarn cutter very special is that it comes with a high-quality safety cap. The safety cap makes it possible to store all the accessories and supplies safely.
5. Knitting Accessories Knitting Kit
- Beginner Knitting Kit - The container latch is sturdy and keeps closed in your bag. Don't need to worry about the mess if the case is open.
- Crochet Accessories - Tape measure is correctly calibrated.
- Knitting Starter Kit - The yarn cutter comes with a safety cap. Much safter to storage it with so many notions.
- The Knitting Tools Kit is A Great Addition to Any Knitting Bag - It is small but conveniently contains notions that are a must for knitters. This compact little kit contains most of the useful items...
- The variety of marker and ring colors allows you to categorize stitches when knitting fair isle and to mark reminders easily. The different sizes also let you choose markers/rings that are more...
Despite its compact size, the Knitting Accessories kit contains all the basic crochet and knitting tools for beginners. The container latch that comes with it is very sturdy and helps to keep all the tools safely closed in the bag. Also, ongoing knitting projects can be safely supported in the latch.
The yarn cutter included in the package comes with a durable safety cap. Also, the markers and rings in the kit are of different colors. The variety of colors allows beginners to mark reminders and categorize their stitches much more quickly when crafting.
The needles in the knits kit are very sturdy, durable, and easy to use. They are also of different sizes, such that users can choose their most suitable weights of yarn and projects without any limitations.
6. Exquiss 27 pcs Knitting Kits
- Metal tool tin package includes 27 pcs knitting kits. This is a must have knitting tool tin! You will get everything you need!
- Package includes 8 pcs locking stitch makers, 6 pcs pear shaped safety pins, 2 pcs large-eye blunt needles, 2 pcs plastic sewing needles, 1 pcs wooden knitting needle gauge in the shape of a sheep, 1...
- The set of knit suit tools are perfect for your needs. Whether weaving scarves, thread cut, sewing clothes and marking, it can make your knitting process successful.Perfect for handmade weave DIY...
- This is a good choice for knitting. They come with various knitting kits and convenient to keep in knitting bag.
As the name suggests, the Exquiss kits come as a package of 27 pieces of kits. All these knits kits are contained in a single metal tool tin, which provides safe storage for all 27 parts. With this knitting kit, you can expect to find everything you need to start your knitting journey.
In addition to knitting projects, the Exquiss knitting kit also includes tools for thread cutting, weaving scarves, marking, and sewing clothes. The equipment is also ideal for those people who love handmade weave DIY projects. Some essential tools included in the kit are two pieces of sewing needles, two pieces of large-eye blunt needles, and one piece of stitch holder.
7. Boye Yarn Knitting for Beginners Kit
- Includes (2) pairs of knitting needles, (1) yarn needle, (5) stitch markers, and (1) fabric measuring tape. Yarn not included.
- A great way to sharpen your skills or introduce a beginner to the craft, this kit is an easy way to practice knitting with bulky yarns.
- Includes 9 different fun to complete patterns.
- Patterns include a scarf, shawl, and more.
- Combine with any of your own yarn to make vibrant and personalized projects!
The Boye Yarn beginner kit includes five stitch markers, one measuring tape, a yarn needle, and two knitting needles. These are all the knitting materials for beginners you will need to start and finish a simple project.
The knits kit also comes with nine different knitting patterns that beginners can easily practice on. These patterns are simple projects ideal for people learning how to knit, such as shawls and scarves. The Boye Yarn kit also provides beginners with clear instructions on how to work with bulky yarns.
The major disadvantage of this kit is that it doesn’t include any skeins of yarn in the package.
8. Boye Round Knitting Loom Set
- Includes (4) circular knitting looms, (1) loom hook, (1) yarn needle, and (1) set of instructions including a pattern for a basic hat.
- Round looms measure 5.5", 7.5", 9.5", and 11.5" in diameter.
- Our loom set is a fun and simple way to knit without the use of needles, and allows you to perform both circular and flat knitting.
- The perfect way to make hats, booties, scarves, and more!
- Ensure pegs are firmly snapped into place before use.
This multicolor loom set comes with one yarn needle, a high-quality loom hook, and four circular knitting looms. Each circular loom has its unique size, with the most extended loom having a diameter of 11.5 inches and the shortest one having a diameter of 5.5 inches.
The Boye Round knitting loom set is one of the unique kits in the market. Contrary to most of the knitting kits, the Boye set allows beginners to learn how to knit without using needles. Also, the loom set teaches learners how to perform both flat and circular knitting. It can be used for a wide variety of knitting projects, such as booties, hats, and scarves.
9. Craftabelle – Finger Knit Creation Kit
- Craftabelle finger knitting kit for kids
- Set includes 4 bundles of heavy yarn
- Yarn comes in 4 colors: purple, pink, green, and multicolor
- Customize with a crystal buckle, a flower brooch, and beads!
- Also comes with 2 foam stitch holders
The Finger Knit Creation kit is a perfect design by Craftabelle. It includes a considerable amount of soft yarn, which can knit up to three scarves. What’s even better, the soft yarn is available in a wide variety of colors. Therefore, you can make your own preferred choice of color or even create your originals.
The Finger Knit Creation kit also comes with handy foam holders. Beginners can use these holders to keep their stitches in place, especially when taking breaks from the knitting sessions. This kit allows knitters to get as creative and decorative as they can. Also, it is an ideal knit kit for kids and children aged eight years and above.
10. Authentic Knitting Board ‘Premium’ Chunky Round Knitting Loom Set
- 3 loom set with 48, 36 and 24 pegs
- Great for hats, shawls, and scarves
- Use chunky weight yarn
- Includes 4 patterns, 2 hats, scarf and cowl
The Authentic Knitting Board Loom set is most suitable for knitting scarves, hats, and shawls. The three loom sets come with 24, 36, and 48 pegs. The kit allows beginners to use all sorts of yarn for knitting, including chunky yarns.
The Authentic Knitting Board kit features four simple patterns for beginners; a scarf, cowl, and two hat patterns. The round knitting loom set is of premium quality. Hence, you are guaranteed of the durability and longevity of this knitting loom.
More so, the knitting supplies for beginners have a functional design, which makes knitting on the looms easier and more comfortable.
With all the kits for knitters available in the market, you are guaranteed to find equipment that suits your taste and preference. However, even with all the options to choose from, not just any knits kit would be ideal for you. The best knitting kits should consist of the following two essential tools:
1.) Quality Needles
High-quality knitting needles are the very first thing you should look for in your knitting starter kit. Since there are so many types of needles to choose from, such as circular knitting needles, straight knitting needles, it is best that you first try out different styles. Then, you can select the kit with the optional knitting needles that work best for you. Most beginners prefer using wooden or bamboo knitting needles, as these are less slippery on the hands than other needles.
2.) Quality Yarn
What makes knitting so much fun is that you have the freedom to choose whichever type of yarn you want to work with. Knitters can choose the texture, fiber, thickness, and yarn colors that they prefer.
Beginners are recommended to start with acrylic yarns, cotton yarns, or Peruvian wool yarns, either in the DK or Aran weight. Therefore, unless you have enough knitting experience, you should choose knitting kits that come with acrylic, cotton, or wool yarns.
What is the Best Knitting Kit for Beginners?
The Boye Yarn Knitting for Beginners Kit is considered the best knitting kit for beginners. This kit comes with all the accessories that you will need to finish your projects. Also, the kit allows users to create personalized projects using yarns of their choice.
What Should a Beginner Knitter Buy?
If you do not have much experience with knitting, you may be confused by all the knitting tools and accessories sold at the stores. These stores sell so many types of yarns and needles, such that you might be tempted to go wild and buy every fancy tool you see.
However, as an absolute beginner, you only require a few supplies to start your projects. These essential tools are:
> A sewing needle
> Knitting needles or crochet hooks for crocheters
> A pair of scissors
What is the Easiest Thing to Knit for a Beginner?
If you are an absolute beginner in crafting, you will, of course, have to start with the easiest projects. The five most recommended projects for beginners are obligatory scarfs, shawls, ponchos, baby blankets, and cowls. These knitting items are not just easy, but they also take the shortest time possible, making them ideal for beginners.
Are Knitting Kits Worth it?
Yes! Knitting kits are absolutely worth it! These tools are the best learning tools for beginners, whether they are knitting kits for adults or kids knitting kits. The patterns and beginner projects that knitting kits offer will make your crafting journey more fun and worthwhile.
What is a Good First Knitting Project?
The most recommended first knitting project for beginners is the scarf. What makes the scarf a classic choice for first knitting is that scarves require very simple garter stitches. Most scarves made using scarf knitting kits don’t even need any patterns for the garter stitches. Their simplicity makes them an ideal first knitting project for beginners.
What Should a Beginner Crochet?
Even with a knitting kit for beginners, you can still do some crocheting projects. If you are a beginner in crocheting, you can begin with simple tasks, such as necklaces, coasters, dishcloths, granny squares blankets, or a basic beanie.
Do you wish to learn knitting or don’t know how to crochet? Not sure where to begin? Well, don’t let all the knitting supplies and accessories sold in stores overwhelm you. All you need to do is get one of the above ten best knitting kits for beginners. With your favorite knitting kits, you will have everything you need to start your project, all in one package.