You finally have the free time that you were always wishing for. Or, your kids are not going to school today and you are planning to have some quality family time. The question is; just how should you spend your free time?
One of the best ways you can spend your free time is by learning how to knit and weave! When you decide to learn this amazing activity, you will require one very important tool; a loom. The good thing about loom knitting is that it is quite an easy, yet crafty activity. Hence, beginners and kids can easily learn how to loom knit.
This article will help you to understand just which best knitting loom for beginners you should get, as well as the basics of loom knitting. Read along!
Best Knitting Loom for Beginners Review
What is the Best Knitting Loom for Beginners?
The market today offers a wide range of knitting looms. Therefore, knowing just which loom to go for can prove to be quite challenging. If you have been wondering which knitting loom is best, you need not worry anymore. We’ve researched for you and compiled a list of the best knitting loom to buy. The following is a discussion of the best knitting loom reviews, for both beginners and kids;
Best Knitting Loom for Beginners Review
The following are the best knitting loom reviews for beginners;
1. Readaeer Round Knitting Looms Set Craft Kit Tool
The Readaeer knitting loom is one of the best round knitting looms sold in the market. The package includes 4 loom rings of different sizes, as well as advanced pom-pom makers. Also, considering the high quality of this round knitting loom, we can conclude that the yarn goes for a considerably great and budget-friendly price. This loom can be used for making hats, shawls, scarves, and socks.
- The pegs of the knitting loom are not only well-attached but also smooth. This prevents the pegs from snagging the yarns used.
- The Readaeer round knitting loom package comes with detailed and full instructions, making it easier to use the loom.
- The knitting loom is lightweight and easy to carry around.
- It is made using ABS plastic. The use of such high-quality material in its structure ensures the durability of the knitting loom.
- The knitting looms are a large gauge, which calls for the use of bulky yarns.
2. ALIMELT Round Knitting Loom Set
The ALIMELT round knitting loom comes with all the pegs inserted. The user can, therefore, start using it immediately after purchase, without worrying about intensive assembly and installation. The package comes with a sharp crochet hook, which makes knitting much easier and efficient. These aspects make the ALIMELT round knitting loom is the best knitting loom for beginners.
- The ALIMELT knitting loom sets are very environmentally friendly, as the pegs do not include any glue, formaldehyde, or other environmentally hazardous materials.
- The pegs of the knitting loom can be easily inserted and pulled out from the holes, using a small hammer.
- It is made using ductile materials, which make the looming set durable and long-lasting.
- The included instructions are not very clear.
- If the user wraps the pegs too tightly, the whole thing might warp.
3. LAYOER Round Knitting Loom Set with Hook Needle Kit
This particular round knitting loom set comes with 4 looms of different sizes. The sizes of these 4 different looks are; 5-1/2 inches (5.08 cm), 7-1/2 inches, 9-1/2 inches, and 11-1/2 inches. The LAYOER loom package also includes other essential knitting accessories, such as a single packet of knit needles, and another single packet of handle iron crochet hooks.
- The basic instructions of using the knitting loom are included in the loom set package.
- Knitting using the LAYOER round knitting loom is very easy, which makes it one of the best knitting loom for beginners and kids.
- The pegs are well molded, while the loom comes with a beautifully designed case.
- The knitting loom is durable, being made using high-quality ABS plastic material.
- The written instructions are not very clear and can, therefore, be quite confusing.
- The pegs of the LAYOER round knitting loom tend to fall out easily.
4. Boye Round Knitting Loom Set
If you intend to ever knit like a professional, then the Boye round loom set is simply the knitting loom you should go for. This loom has dimensions of 5.5 inches (13.97 cm) × 9.5 inches (24.13 cm) × 11.5 inches (29.21 cm). The loom set package comes with 1 yarn needle, 4 round knitting looms, a single loom hook, and one set of instructions. Boye knitting loom can be used for making hats, booties, socks, and scarves.
- The set of instructions includes a pattern on how to make a basic hat, which beginners can use to learn how to knit.
- The Boye round knitting loom eliminates the use of needles, making knitting both easier and fun.
- It allows for both flat and circular types of knitting.
- The peg grooves of the Boye loom set can be quite inconsistent in width.
- Some pegs also tend to be rough and have sharp edges, such that the yarns used to keep catching and separating.
Best Knitting Loom for Kids Review
While the above best round knitting loom is for beginners, there are also creative knitting kits for kids to keep them focused on something besides the TV. The following are the 4 best knitting loom to buy for kids;
5. Mira Handcrafts Complete Round Knitting Loom Kit
The Mira Handcrafts knitting loom is one of the best gifts you can give to your children. The package includes 3 plastic needles and a knitting loom hook with a soft grip. This knitting loom can be used for making hats, scarfs, booties, and many other warm garments. Your kid will no doubt love using this knitting craft kit.
- The loom kit package also comes with 4 different sized looms; 5.5 inches (13.97 cm), 7.5 inches (19.05 cm), 9.5 inches (24.13 cm), and 11.5 inches (29.21 cm) respectively.
- Bulky yarns can be used with the Mira Handcrafts knitting loom.
- The full step-by-step instructions are included in the package and consist of photos that make it even simpler for kids to understand and learn how to use the knitting loom.
- The packaging of the Mira Handcrafts loom set is quite clumsy.
6. Creativity for Kids Quick Knit Loom
As its name implies, the Creativity for Kids Quick Knit Loom inspires creativity among kids. The knitting loom kit comes with full instructions, detailed step-by-step, which kids can follow to knit garments. The kit also allows for an open-ended craft activity, such that kids can think outside the box and come up with unique products of their own.
- The Creativity for Kids knitting loom set comes with a chunky rainbow yarn of 90 yards (82.3 m).
- The package also includes two rainbow pompoms that kids can attach to their woven hats.
- The repetitive activity of hooking and wrapping, associated with this knitting loom, helps to improve the kids’ coordination, planning, problem-solving skills, as well as their critical thinking.
- The smaller knit loom package may miss some knobs.
- The needle is usually packed in a small package and can be easily missed.
7. Style Me Up - Knitting Loom Set for Kids
The Style Me Up knitting loom is mainly designed for young girls. It allows girls to knit beautiful designs using all the colors of the rainbow. The package includes a 1 plastic needle, a single yarn, 1 knitting hook, crafting materials for making a beanie hat and scarf, as well as 2 knitting, looms.
- The package includes simple instructions, which make it easier for kids to master the knitting patterns.
- The yarn is quite long, over 100 meters. It also comes in 6 different colors.
- The 2 knitting looms allow for both flat and round knitting.
- Knitting loom not included with the set.
8. Make It Real Cozy Hands Scarf Knitting Craft Kit for Kids
The Make it Real Cozy knitting loom is another perfect gift you can give to your children. Young ones aged 5-12 years can easily learn how to crochet using a knitting loom, which comes with detailed instructions.
- The yarn that comes in the package is usually very soft.
- Knitting using the Make it Real Cozy knitting is much easier than knitting using sticks.
- The knitting loom case is beautifully designed, which makes it an ideal gift to wrap for your kids.
- The instructions are rather too detailed and confusing for kids.
- It is quite hard to keep the stitches of the knitting loom tight.
Types of Knitting Loom
There are many types of knitting looms. It is usually said that; for every knitting project that you embark on, there will always be a specific loom for it. The following are the 4 most common types of knitting looms and their major uses;
1. Rake Looms
These are also referred to as long looms. Their structure consists of a single row of pegs. However, some rake looms sold in the market are built with 2 rows of pegs. The additional row of pegs is usually included on one end of the loom, such that the user can work in the round if they prefer to do so.
Due to the row(s) of pegs, rake looms are most ideal for flat panel projects. Examples of such flat panel projects include the making of woven blankets, scarves, and afghans.
2. Circular Looms
Circular looms are also known as round knitting looms. These types of looms do not include a stopping point, which is present in the rake looms. Therefore, circular/round looms allow users to continuously weave and create a menagerie of beautiful patterns, sizes, and shapes.
Circular looms usually result in tubular shaped projects, following the fact that users continuously weave in the round. These types of looms are mostly used to make hats and cowls.
3. Serenity Looms
Also referred to as the S-loom, serenity looms are characterized by an ‘infinity’ figure of 8 structure. It is the most ideal loom to use when knitting large fabric panels, which when sewn together creates beautiful blankets and afghans.
4. Sock Looms
Sock looms are designed with a gauge that can be easily adjusted. Using this gauge, the user can easily make decreases or increases, hence knitting the perfect sizes. Sock looms can be used to knit adult socks and baby booties.
How Do You Loom Knit for Beginners?
Loom knitting is not really that hard a task. It can actually prove to be very simple, even for beginners. This process can be divided into four major steps, namely;
- Casting on
- Casting off
Step 1: Supplies
Just as the name of this step implies, the very first step to loom knitting is to gather essential supplies. The major supplies that you will require are; a yarn, a knitting hook, and a knitting loom. However, the knitting hook is more of an option than a necessity, hence you don’t need to get one.
Also, remember that knitting looms come in multiple sizes. Therefore, pick the knitting loom size that matches the preferred width of your knitting. Also, if the yarns you are using are not very thick, you could even consider knitting 2 colors at once.
Step 2: Casting On
At the end of your yarn, make 2 loops. While doing this, ensure that the loop’s left side is placed at the top. Then, pass the right loop at the bottom of the other loop. After doing this, place the right loop on the hook, which is usually at the loom’s side. Tighten the loop on the peg by pulling the tail. The long end should then be wrapped around each peg, in a clockwise direction relative to the loom.
Once again wrap the long end around each peg, but not around the peg on the side. To prevent the yarn from unwinding, wrap it around the side peg a couple of times. Then, push the bottom loop over the loop on top, as well as off the peg. Repeat this process with all pegs, excluding the side peg.
Step 3: Knitting
To knit, wrap the yarn on every peg, creating 2 loops on every peg. Wrap the yarn on the side peg a couple of times. Push the bottom loop over the loop on top. Repeat this process until you have achieved the intended length of your project.
Step 4: Casting Off
Ensure that each peg has one loop. Remove the loop from the second peg, then place it on the peg that is on its left. Place the bottom loop over the loop on top. Then, pick up the loop on that particular peg, and place it on the empty peg. Repeat this process with the other pegs, until the entire loom is empty. When you finish this project, you will have successfully knitted on a loom!
How Do Loom Knitting and Needle Knitting Differ?
The major difference between loom knitting and needle knitting is that; looms provide users with different ways of holding their stitches, whereas knitting needles don’t. Loom knitting is also usually done in the round, contrary to needle knitting which is usually done in flat. More so, looms have fixed numbers of stitches, while needles allow users to choose the number of stitches themselves.
Is Loom Knitting Easier than Needle Knitting?
Yes, loom knitting is considered much easier than needle knitting. This is because, unlike in needles, each stitch of a loom has its own specific ‘needle.’ Therefore, it is very hard to drop stitches when loom knitting.
What is the Best Yarn to Use for Loom Knitting?
What Can You Make with a Knitting Loom?
A knitting loom can be used to knit and weave different types of warm clothing. Examples of different clothing that can be made with a knitting loom are scarfs, leggings, hats, socks, sleeves, beanies, among many other garments.
Loom knitting is one of the easiest, yet most effective and satisfying projects that you can undertake. Get your kids one of the above discussed best knitting loom kits, and help them become even more productive in life. What’s even better; by getting yourself a knitting loom for beginners, you might be making a major step to developing a successful crocheting business!