Whether it is spending the weekend at home or working from our home office, we can all agree that nothing feels better than putting on a comfy pair of leggings. Leggings, commonly known as yoga pants, are great-fitting pants that can make our day feel even more comfortable.
These types of everyday wear pants have gained a lot of popularity in the market recently. It is no wonder, then, that starting a small-scale business of making leggings is one of the most profitable businesses you can start today.
But, have you ever paused to look beyond the comfortability provided by leggings? For instance, how are leggings manufactured? And, which best sewing machine for leggings are available in the market? If you are a leggings lover or are looking to start a leggings’ manufacturing business, then this article is just for you. Read on!
What Machines are Required for Legging Manufacturing?
Leggings are manufactured using sewing machines. A pair of leggings can be described as a piece of knit fabric. Sewing machines used for manufacturing leggings should always allow for stretch since most leggings are sewn using lycra fabrics that stretch. Good examples of such machines are the serger and single needle lockstitch sewing machine.
Manufacturing leggings using sewing machines is very advantageous. It helps reduce the overall leggings manufacturing cost and ensures faster stitching, as compared to stitching by hand.
Review of Top 5 Sewing Machine for Leggings
Note: Computerized sewing machine with 100 built in stitches.
Note: Lightweight machine with 27 built in stitches.
Note: Portable and lightweight machine.
|Brother 2340CV||Color: White
Note: 2-3-4 cover stitch, 1100 stitches per minute.
|Janome JW8100||Color: White
Note: 100 built in stitches.
If you are looking to purchase leggings stitching machine, then you would do well to consider the following 5 best-reviewed sewing machines for leggings;
1.) SINGER 7258 Computerized Easy Sewing Machine.
- PUSH BUTTON STITCH SELECTION: The SINGER Stylist 7258 sewing machine allows you to select the desired stitch with just a simple push of a button. Optimum settings for length, width and tension are set...
- WARRANTY: SINGER Stylist 7258 Sewing Machine has 25 Year Limited Warranty , 60 Hertz
- This sewing machine is warranted for use in the US and Canada at 110 volts only
The SINGER 7258 is the leggings stitching machine that offers loads of accessories, all for free. It is designed with 100 built-in stitches, which include decorative stitches, quilting stitches, different stitch length and fashion sewing. Some features included in this sewing machine are horizontal threading, a feeding system with 6 segments, a presser foot lifter, and speed control. The SINGER 7258 sewing machine package comes with a 25-year limited warranty.
2.) Brother XM2701.
- 27 Unique built-in stitches: The XM2701 includes 27 built-in stitches including decorative, blind hem, zigzag, and stretch stitches and an auto-size buttonhole
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in...
- Included accessories: The XM2701 comes with 6 sewing feet, 3-piece needle set, twin needle, 4 bobbins, instructional DVD, manual and more
- Versatile free arm: This free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- At your side support: The XM2701 sewing machine comes with Brother At your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
Brother XM2701 has a very lightweight design, which makes it convenient to carry around and store. It is designed with multiple user-friendly features, making it an ideal leggings sewing machine for beginners. The more experienced sewers can also use this particular sewing machine to attain versatility.
3.) Brother 2340CV Coverstitch Machine.
- METAL FRAME: The Brother 2340CV is a sturdy cover stitch-dedicated serger made with a metal frame and internal parts. The 2 needle 2-3-4 cover stitch functions are great for working with stretch...
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: Featuring tri-cover stitch, wide and narrow cover stitches along with easy-to-follow color coded threading and cover stitch capability of 3 millimeter to 6 millimeter for thicker...
- 1,100 STITCHES PER MINUTE: The 2340CV has a maximum sewing speed of up to 1,100 stitches per minute allowing you to serger more in less time. Differential Feed: 0.7 - 2.0 millimeter
- EASY TO THREAD: A fast thread looper system, color-coded guides on machine, and lay-in threading make the C2340CV easy to use
- INCLUDED ACCESSORY FEET: A standard foot plus blind stitch and gathering foot are included with the 2340CV
This machine is designed to be used for sewing knits leggings with a serger. The Brother 2340CV makes it possible for legging sewers to create multiple cover stitches on different materials of fabric and weights. The advanced technology incorporated in this machine gives it its high flexibility in creating decorative and constructive applications. The cover stitch serger package comes with a 25-year limited warranty, as well as free technical support via phone, all through the machine’s life.
4.) JUKI HZL-27Z.
- Light weight portable with 22 stitches and buttonhole
- Automatic needle threader
- Easy stitch change dial
- Free arm and drop in bobbin
- LED light bright work area
If you regularly travel and are looking for a portable sewing machine that you can always carry with you, then the JUKI automatic leggings making sewing machine is the ideal equipment for you. JUKI HZL-27Z is a portable machine that has all the essential features of a perfect leggings sewing machine. It features a total of 22 different stitch patterns, inclusive of a buttonhole.
5.) Janome JW8100.
- Computerized Sewing Machine with Easy Threading, Top Drop-In Bobbin and 7-Piece Feed Dog System
- 100 Built-In Stitches, 7 Auto Buttonhole Styles, Memorized Needle Up/Down, Interior Metal Frame
- Convenience Features like Start/Stop Button, Speed Control Slider, Locking Stitch Button, Reverse Lever
- Free Arm with Accessory Storage, Memory Function, Adjustable Thread Tension
- Bonus Accessories: Extra-Wide Extension Table, Hard-Sided Dust Cover, Even Feed Foot, Quarter Inch Foot
The most outstanding feature of the Janome JW8100 machine is its cutting-edge technology. This technology provides more power and precision to sewing activewear. The machine also includes a locking stitch button and a button for moving the needle either up or down. These incorporated buttons make this a very user-friendly sewing machine, ideal for all levels of legging sewers. The maximum stitch width provided by the Janome JW8100 computerized sewing machine is 7 mm.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Sewing Machine for Leggings Clothes
Buying a home sewing machine for the very first time can feel very challenging and daunting. After all, there are very many sewing machine options to choose from in the market. Most people think that; the more features a sewing machine possesses, the better the quality. This is, however, not true at all. Some sewing machines for leggings offer numerous features yet continually jam or break down.
So, how can ensure that you always choose the best sewing machine for leggings? Consider the following 5 factors before buying your sewing machine;
1.) The Basics of Regular Machine.
One of the sewing machine basics that you need to look out for is a metal full-rotary hook. The most recommended sewing machine for making clothes, such as leggings, are those that feature a hook that spins around in a circle. Machines with such-like hooks do not jam.
Another basic that you can consider is the presence of an open arm. Open arms in leggings sewing machines are helpful when it comes to sewing sliding pant legs. Also, sewing machines that offer easy threading are more preferred than those that don’t.
2.) Stitch Options.
When purchasing a sewing machine for making home use leggings, you need to go for those that come with the following stitch options;
Straight stitches — these work as precision stitches.
Zigzag stitches — used for producing a finished look on the raw edges of the fabric.
Tri-motion stitches — prevents unraveling.
Blind hem — used for making hems that can be barely seen.
Special stitch — require for some kind of special sewing operation.
3.) Mechanical or Electronic.
Electronic sewing machines for leggings are highly recommended for use by both beginners and advanced sewers. These machines automatically adjust stitches for users, unlike in the mechanical sewing machines, where the user is required to manually turn dials to adjust the stitches.
Sadly, we don’t always have the money to buy the most ideal sewing machine for leggings. This is why you should put your budget as a consideration when buying these machines. The good news is; even with a low budget, you can still find a high-quality leggings sewing machine. For instance, the above discussed best sewing machine for leggings are very budget-friendly machines that also offer high-quality services.
5.) Service and Warranty.
This goes without saying; sewing machines that offer longer warranty lengths, or cover more parts and items, provide the best services. So, before you can settle for a leggings sewing machine, first consider the warranty length covered by the equipment.
Which Brand of Sewing Machine is Best for Leggings and Other Clothes?
In the field of sewing machines for making dress and leggings, there are those specific brands that have for a long time maintained their top ranks. Of course, other new brands have come about in the recent past, and have even surpassed the older mechanical sewing machines.
Simply put, the best brands of regular sewing machines for leggings are those that offer machines that incorporate modern technology and that can provide multiple functions. The following is a list of the top 10 best brands that manufacturing sewing for leggings;
Choosing the Pattern
One major step involved in the process of sewing leggings is finding a pattern piece. There are tons of patterns that you can choose to sew your leggings; some of these available for free and others for purchase.
There are 3 best leggings sewing patterns that you can choose, namely;
Manila leggings — this is a more classic pattern design that features beautiful overlapped curved cuffs, seen into each leg’s hem. The pattern is sold by Collete Patterns.
Ooh La Leggings — leggings that use this pattern are usually made using faux leather spandex. The pattern gives off a street-wear vibe. It is sold by Papercut Patterns.
Hyacinth Moto Leggings — this pattern provides options for both low and high waists. It also features 2 lengths; full length and short length. The pattern is sold by the Cucicucicoo Patterns.
How to Sew Leggings
To sew leggings, you first need to gather together all the raw materials you will need. The following are the basic tools required for sewing leggings;
- Sewing machine
- Stretched knitted fabric
After you have gathered together all the above basic tools, follow the 7 steps below to see your leggings;
- Cut the elastic, as per the measurements. Then, using a zigzag sewing machine, join the 2 ends of the cut elastic, such that you create a closed-loop.
- Attach the front to the back rise. This can be easily done by using an overlock machine.
- Again, use the overlock machine to sew inseam.
- Attach the elastic to the waistband. This is also done by using the overlock machine.
- Turn the elastic to the inside, then finish the waistband with a flatlock machine.
- Using the same flat lock machine, perform bottom hemming.
- Attach the main, care, and size labels. However, note that this is optional, hence, you can choose to skip this process. The main purpose of attaching these labels is to add more value to the leggings.
After going through all these steps, you will have successfully made your very first legging. It is now time to put it on and flaunt the legging of your own sewing!
What Thread Do You Use for Leggings?
The best threads that you can use for sewing leggings are the textured threads, such as polyester and nylon threads. Examples of such textured threads are the Best Stretch® and the A&E’s Wildcat® Plus.
Textured threads are highly recommended for sewing leggings since they offer perfect seam elasticity and coverage. This makes them ideal for the cover stitch and over edge seams present in leggings. These seams are responsible for the high strength, stretch, and comfort offered by leggings.
What is the Best Fabric for Leggings?
If you intend to use the leggings for working out, then choose stretchy fabric made using performance fibers/synthetics, such as polyester and nylon. These types of soft fabric are usually opaque, have high durability, and stretch better than other types of fabric. These features are what make them ideal for working out.
On the other hand, if you are sewing leggings to wear when relaxing in the house, then you would do well to go for Cotton/Lycra or wool jersey standard fabric. Wool fabric displays better recovery than cotton fabric.
What is the Best Free Pattern for Leggings?
The best free legging pattern is the ‘Anything But Basic Women’s Leggings’ pattern. A while back, this pattern used to be purchased. However, it can now be accessed for free by all who intend to use it.
What Kind Of Machine To Use for Making Leggings?
Serger is the best sewing machine to sew leggings, which is also known as overlock machine. A serger trims the seam and encloses the seam allowance or edge of the fabric inside a thread casing, all in one step for professional-looking results. Make sure you use a good serger, though.
Unlike most types of clothes, leggings are worn by women of all age groups. These pairs of pants are quickly becoming the fashion trend, being worn with tank tops, jackets, tunics, coats, among other clothes. Since their demand is going up, the price of leggings is also increasing at a fast rate.
But, you don’t have to incur the expensive costs of buying leggings in the market. Instead, get yourself one best sewing machines for leggings, and start manufacturing your leggings. Doing so will save you a lot of money, which you would’ve otherwise spent to buy these. More so, you will develop a skill that could earn you good money by manufacturing and selling leggings!