As a sewing beginner, you most probably started with a home sewing machine. Your modern sewing machines might have some additional features besides basic sewing stitches.
However, as you gain more expertise in sewing, you realize that your simple home sewing machine is inadequate. The more creative you become in sewing, the bigger and better machines you require. And, especially should you get an advanced sewing machine, if you are to turn your sewing activity into a successful profession.
In today’s article, we are going to discuss the best sewing machine for the professional seamstress which you can consider buying. It also discusses the buying guide for such best sewing machines, as well as answers to some frequently asked questions about sewing. Read along!
Best Sewing Machine for Professional Seamstress Reviews
|SINGER Heavy Duty 4432
Note: Metal frame, 32 built in stitches.
Note: 70 built in stitches, lcd with button.
|EverSewn Charlotte: 80-Stitch||Color: Blue
Note: 80 built in stitches, metal frame.
|Singer C5200||Color: Blue White
Note: 80 built in stitches, lcd screen.
|Color: 2020 Tan
Note: 120 built in stitches, Metal frame with big LCD.
|Janome JW8100||Color: White
Note: 100 built in stitches, Metal frame with LCD.
|Juki HZL-353ZR-C Sewing Machine||Color: White
Note: 21 built in stitches, lightweight and compact design.
|Brother CS5055PRW||Color: White
Note: 50 built in stitches, Metal frame with LCD.
The following discussion reviews the 8 best sewing machine for professional seamstress;
1. SINGER Heavy Duty 4432
- HEAVY DUTY METAL FRAME: Adds stability and provides long lasting durability
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of accessories are included: all-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam ripper/lint brush, edge/quilting guide, needles, bobbins,...
- REVERSE STITCH SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER 4432 heavy duty sewing machine has a built-in reverse lever so you can sew in reverse and reinforce stitches
- Limited 90-DAY for Adjustments, Belts, Rings, Bulbs, Attachments; Limited 2-Year for Motors, Light assembly, Wiring, Switches, Speed control and Electronic Components; Limited 25-Year for Sewing...
- Included Components: Includes: All-Purpose, Zipper, Buttonhole, & Button Sewing Feet, Seam Ripper/Lint Brush, Quilting Guide, Needles, Bobbins, Screwdriver, Auxiliary Spool Pin, Spool Pin Felt,...
This particular heavy-duty sewing machine can use for sewing through all types of fabrics, even the heavyweight fabrics. Its ability to sew such heavyweight fabrics is due to the built-in powerful motor, which makes it possible for sewists to stitch through these heavy fabrics quickly. Other essential features of the Singer Heavy Duty 4432 include three needle positions, onboard storage, and an in-built reverse system. More heavy-duty sewing machine review is here.
2. Brother CS7000i Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 70 unique built-in stitches: The Brother CS7000i comes with 70 built-in sewing stitches including utility, quilting, decorative, heirloom stitches, and 7 auto-size buttonholes
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant...
- Included accessories: The CS7000i includes a protective hard case, wide table, 10 sewing feet, instruction manual and more
- LCD Screen: The backlit LCD display allows you to easily make and view your stitch selections
- At your side support: The CS7000i quilting and sewing machine comes with Brother at your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
Brother CS7000i machine is an ideal option for those professional seamstresses who specialize in both sewing and quilting. The machine includes 70 built-in stitches, which offer users a wide range of stitch options to choose from. These 70 stitches include quilting stitches, decorative stitches, and 7 different styles of buttonholes. This machine package usually comes with all the necessary accessories for sewing and quilting.
3. EverSewn Charlotte
- 70-stitch package, 7mm maximum stitch width, LED stitch panel
- 6.5 inch wide sewing space with feed dog drop for both quilting & embroidery
- Automatic needle threader, drop-in bobbin with clear cover plate & 7 standard presser feet
- Fingertip speed control, stitch-width and start/stop,Adjustable sewing speed slider
- High Performance features at an exceptional price point.
EverSewn Charlotte sewing machine is considered the best sewing machines for advanced sewers due to its advanced features. It offers users a total stitch package of 70 different and beautiful stitches. It comes with 7 average soles (presser feet). This machine provides users with a stitch width of up to 7 mm. Indeed, the fantastic features of this computerized sewing machine make it different from other machine.
4. Singer C5200
- 80 Stitches – basic, stretch and decorative stitches for a wide range of sewing techniques and fabrics
- One-Step Buttonhole Styles – bartack, round end and keyhole styles, with consistent results every time
- LCD Screen – displays stitch selection, along with stitch length and width settings
- Touch Button Stitch Selection – find the stitch you want to sew on the machine’s front panel display, then select your stitch using the touch buttons under the LCD window
- LED Lighting – provides long lasting, bright illumination of the sewing area and stays cool to the touch
Singer C5200 is the most budget-friendly machines you can find in the market. It is an ideal computerized sewing machine for all users, both beginners and advanced. This machine offers sewers with 80 different stitch options to choose from, such as decorative stitches, sewing stitches, and 6 buttonholes.
5. Janome 4120QDC
- 120 Built-In Sewing Stitches with a Built-In Alphabet - Your Possibilities are Endless with 120 Built-In Stitches! Sew Quilt Labels and More with the Built-In Alphabet! / Built-In Automatic Needle...
- Jam Proof Easy-Set Top-Loading Bobbin System - It's Easy To Change Your Bobbin. Simply Follow the Track and the Machine will Automatically Bring the Bobbin Thread Up For You. There is No Need to Worry...
- Handy Function Buttons - The Thread Cutter Button will Cut Both the Top and Bottom Thread with the Touch of a Button. The Reverse Stitch Button will Have Your Machine Sew in Reverse for Reinforced...
- Comes With an Incredible Amount of Accessories - Hard Cover, Extension Table, Instructional DVD, Zig-Zag “A” Sewing Foot, Overedge "C" Sewing Foot, Zipper “E” Sewing Foot, Satin Stitch “F”...
- Also Comes With - 1/4” Seam “O” Sewing Foot with Guide, Zig-Zag “F2” Sewing Foot, Automatic Buttonhole “R” Sewing Foot, Assorted Needle Set, Spool Holder (Large), Spool Holder (Small),...
Janome 4120QDDC computerized sewing machine features 120 built-in stitches. Of all these stitches, 7 are buttonholes which offer users a wide range of stitches to perform any task. Therefore, professional seamstresses using this machine can engage in all types of sewing projects, quilting projects, home decor, patchwork, and other daily projects.
6. Janome JW8100
- Computerized Sewing Machine with Easy Threading, Top Drop-In Bobbin and 7-Piece Feed Dog System
- 100 Built-In Stitches, 7 Auto Buttonhole Styles, Memorized Needle Up/Down, Interior Metal Frame
- Convenience Features like Start/Stop Button, Speed Control Slider, Locking Stitch Button, Reverse Lever
- Free Arm with Accessory Storage, Memory Function, Adjustable Thread Tension
- Bonus Accessories: Extra-Wide Extension Table, Hard-Sided Dust Cover, Even Feed Foot, Quarter Inch Foot
Janome JW8100 sewing machine is designed with all the full features of an ideal sewing machine and professional use. For instance, it includes features such as a presser foot lift, a bobbin winder, and a needle threader. It also features cutting-edge technology, which makes it possible for sewing projects to be done with more power, confidence, and accuracy. The maximum stitch width offered by this machine is 7 mm.
7. Juki HZL-353ZR-C
- Compact & Lightweight - Go anywhere machine: At only 15.7lbs and featuring 21 Built-In Stitches, Drop Feed, White LED Light, extra front Feed Dogs, Drop-In Bobbin, Zigzag Width Adjusting Dial and more...
- Automatic Needle Threader: The Automatic Needle Threader easily threads the needle with ease and without eyestrain and allows you to start sewing quickly.
- Automatic One Step Buttonholing: By placing the button on the buttonhole foot, the machine conveniently sews buttonholes automatically to the size of the button.
- Adjustable Presser Foot Pressure: Presser foot pressure can be adjusted for better sewing results according to the type of materials sewn.
- Compact Size Sewing Machine with Carrying Case: The Juki HZL-353ZR-C is an ideal traveling companion. It is lightweight, compact and always ready to go. The hard shell carrying case is supplied...
Juki HZL-353ZR-C boasts a high-powered motor, which sews at high speeds of 750 stitches for every minute. The heavy motor of this sewing machine also makes it possible for the seamstresses to work with heavyweight fabrics. It comes with 21 built-in patterns.
8. Brother CS5055PRW
- 50 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW features 50 built-in stitches including 5 auto-size buttonholes
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in...
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The CS5055PRW comes with 7 sewing feet, 3-piece needle set, twin needle, instruction manual and more
- LCD SCREEN: Simply select your stitches with the push of a button and view your selection on the LCD display
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT: The CS5055PRW sewing machine comes with Brother at your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
Following the fact that this is a computerized sewing machine, you can rest assured that it is very easy and simple to use. The Brother CS5055PRW can be used for all types of fabrics, both lightweight and heavy fabrics. It also includes 50 built-in stitches, which include decorative, buttonholes, overcasting edges, and zippers.
If you are to make your sewing experience more fun and pleasurable, then you have to first choose the right sewing machine. The big question, however, is; just how can you ensure that you go for the sewing machine that you not only love, but that also includes the right tools and features?
Well, before you can purchase a sewing machine for your profession, you need to remember the following 3 points;
1.) Purchasing a Sewing Machine is a Big Investment
When you buy the right sewing machine, this will last you for many years to come. On the other hand, going for the ‘cheaper deals’ can prove to be more expensive in the long run, due to all the mechanical repairs and replacements that you may have to do when the low-quality sewing machine breaks down. Therefore, when it comes to buying an ideal sewing machine, be ready to invest in a quality machine.
2.) Buy your Sewing Machine from a Well-known Brand
Sewing machine stores, whether online or physical, are not termed as being reputable for no reason. Therefore, buy your sewing machine from reputable stores, such as Brother, Singer, Janome, Juki, and Elna brands. The good thing about these brands is that they provide you with a warranty, that ensures the high quality of the sewing machine.
3.) You Won’t Remain a Sewing Machine Beginner Forever
It is not a bag thing to purchase a sewing machine for beginners. These types of machines can help you learn the art of sewing very fast. However, you need to remember that you won’t remain a sewing beginner forever. Therefore, it would be wise to buy the best-advanced sewing machine; a sewing machine that you will progress with.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Sewing Machine for Professional Seamstress
Today, the market is exploding with sewing machines for both beginners and professional seamstresses. With all the sewing machines being manufactured daily, it can be quite confusing to know which ideal machine to purchase.
Taking the following 4 features into account can help you make the best decision on what best sewing machine for advanced sewers to go for;
1.) Stitch Options.
As a professional seamstress, you are sewing constantly. Therefore, you most probably know what stitch options you use most frequently. Don’t just go for an advanced sewing machine that offers millions of stitch options. Rather, go for that particular sewing machine that provides the stitch options that you regularly use.
2.) Seam Allowance Guides.
This is considered as the most important feature on any sewing machine. Seam allowance refers to the distance between the sewing stitches and the fabric edges. The best sewing machine for professional use offers seam allowances of 1.5 cm on purchased patterns. Also, good sewing machines include guides designed on the plate, for helping users sew in straight lines.
Poor quality sewing machines lack any buttonhole attachments. On the contrary, the best sewing machine for professional seamstress includes buttonholes options. These may be either one stage buttonholes or even four-stage buttonholes for the more advanced machines.
4.) Bobbin Placement.
The bobbin in a sewing machine is very important, as it is what greatly determines the stitch quality. The older sewing machines have a separate mechanism spool, which is first taken out of the machine, after which the bobbin is then dropped in. This whole process can be very frustrating and tedious. Therefore, you would do well to go for the newer model sewing machines, which require you to just drop the bobbin off or in.
Types of Sewing Machine for Making Home Clothes
Sewing machines are not all alike. There are different types of machines, each with its unique features and characteristics. The following are the 6 main types of sewing machines for making home clothes;
1.) Domestic Model Sewing Machine.
This is the most common type of home sewing machine used by beginners. The domestic model machine is built with a very simple design. Yet, this simple machine can be used for almost every home sewing project. Most of the domestic models are used for sewing straight seams. However, some can also make zigzag stitches, buttonholes, and even decorative stitches.
2.) Hand-operated Sewing Machine.
Hand-operated machines were very popular a while ago, but are now losing their popularity following the invention of commercial-grade sewing machines. With this type of machine, the wheel is operated manually. Also, the machine is designed with a handle, which when turned runs the machine.
3.) Treadle Sewing Machine.
As the name suggests, the wheel of this machine is operated by treadling the built-in base stand. The treadle sewing machine works just like any other regular sewing machine. The only difference between these other machines is that; the treadle machine requires more manual work.
4.) Mechanical Sewing Machine.
Mechanical sewing machines have very simple designs, which make that ideal for beginners. Those are constructed with simple knobs, which can be turned very easily to change the stitch widths, lengths, and tension. Another major advantage of these types of sewing machines is that; those go for very cheap and affordable prices.
5.) Electronic Sewing Machine.
Electronic sewing machines are designed with convenient switches for operating the machine. They do not include any dials or knobs, as is included in other types of sewing machines. Electronic machines also offer users with more stitch selections than other regular machines.
6.) Computerized Sewing Machine.
A computerized sewing machine can be simply defined as an electronic sewing machine with advanced features for embroidery and more set-up programs. These types of machines perform projects faster than all other types of sewing machines. Their advanced features are what make them very expensive.
Which Type of Sewing Machine is Best for Professional Seamstress?
The best sewing machine for professional sewers is the commercial/industrial model sewing machine. Unlike other types of machines, industrial sewing machines are built with the capability of sewing multiple fabric layers together. These types of machines also work for continued periods, without the built-in motor becoming heated.
Furthermore, industrial sewing machines work at very fast rates. Their high working speeds make them very convenient for professional seamstresses, as these can manage bulky and huge loads of work within a short period. The beauty and functionality of such industrial sewing machines are simply one to admire.
How to Become a Professional Seamstress
If you normally find fun in sewing, then you would do well to consider learning to sew as a profession. Becoming a professional seamstress would require you to be dedicated and willing to learn.
To become a professional seamstress, then you first need to develop an ‘eye for detail.’ This is because; sewing garments not only involves creating and joining several pieces of clothing but also involves matching threads and fabrics of different colors, textures, and sizes.
Therefore, before you can become a professional seamstress, develop a genuine interest in textiles. Learn how to measure and calculate pieces of fabric accurately. Also, you can consider joining a fashion college or course to acquire more knowledge. This is, however, an option for those who prefer to. After all, becoming a professional seamstress does not call for any fixed entry requirements.
If you choose to join a sewing course, you can go for either of the three-level certifications offered in most colleges. These certifications are;
Level 1 — Diploma or Certificate in Textiles and Fashion
Level 2 — Certificate or Award in Clothing and Fashion
Level 3 — Award in Fashion
However, remember that the best way that you can become a professional seamstress is by acquiring enough experience. Therefore, work with other professional sewers and experienced master tailors. Learn how these showcase their skills to their clients or employers. Acquiring and applying such first-hand information is the best way that you can become a professional seamstress yourself.
The success of a seamstress’ career mostly depends on referrals. Therefore, when you start your own sewing business, work hard at building a strong client base for yourself. Also, sharpen your customer service skills, and you can trust that this will help to maintain your clientele. The more clients you attract, the more success your seamstress’ business will generate.
What Sewing Machines do Professionals Use?
Most professionals make use of the computerized sewing machines for their projects. These types of sewing machines are very easy and simple to use, which makes the work of these professionals much easier.
Also, most professionals consider computerized sewing machines as the best sewing machine for professional use, due to the high power and great speeds that these provide. Advanced sewers tend to have a lot of workload, hence these fast working computerized sewing machines always come in handy.
What is the Most Reliable Brand for Sewing Machine?
The most reliable brand for sewing machine is the Singer brand. The different types of sewing machines manufactured by the Singer brand are the true definition of a workhorse. These machines are usually designed with an interior frame made using heavy-duty metal, as well as a bedplate of stainless steel. Both the metal interior frame and stainless steel ensure the durability of these Singer sewing machines.
Also, sewing machines by the Singer brand usually offer extra-high sewing speeds, making them the best sewing machine for professional sewers who tend to have a lot of workload. More so, their heavy-duty aspect makes it possible to use these machines for sewing the bulkier and thicker fabrics, which cannot be made using the regular sewing machines.
What Kind of Sewing Machines are used by Fashion Designers?
The larger percentage of fashion designers use embroidery sewing machines for their projects. Fashion designers specialize in adding creativity to fashion work, as well as making intricate patterns on fabrics.
Embroidery machines provide users with such services, helping them come up with flawless patterns and seams on garments. This is why embroidery sewing machines make the most ideal machines for fashion designers, earning themselves the common name ‘designing machines.’
How Long do Sewing Machines Last?
On average, the life span of sewing machines is approximately 5 years. However, there are other high-quality sewing machines designed to offer users a longer life service than 5 years, such as the 8 above discussed heavy-duty sewing machines. Also, with proper maintenance and care, even regular sewing machines can last for longer periods than just 5 years.
How Often Do Sewing Machines Need Servicing?
If you normally sew just once a week, then your sewing machine would require lubrication at least once every month. On the other hand, if you are just an occasional sewer, using your machine, say, once per month, then you can lubricate the sewing machine at least once in every 3 months. In other words, the more often you use your sewing machine, the more regularly you will need to service it.
As a professional seamstress, you have the right to choosing a sewing machine that will offer you the best and faultless sewing experience. You deserve a machine that will not only give you a well-defined work, but that will also ensure the precision and uniqueness of your work.
While not every sewing machine in the market can offer you all that, you can trust the above reviewed 8 best sewing machine for professional seamstress to provide you with all those features. Get yourself, or your loved one, one of these faultless sewing machines, and benefit from the impressive features that these machines have to offer!