Do you love needlework? Indeed, needlework projects are some of the most beautiful items in the world. If you regularly engage in knitting and sewing or have just started learning the skill, you know that needlework projects don’t just happen.
To produce a neat and beautifully crafted project, you need to use the right tools for the work. One of the tools you will need in handcrafting is the tapestry needle. This article provides useful information on what a tapestry needle is, its function, and which needles you should buy. Read on!
What Is a Tapestry Needle?
A tapestry needle is a short, hand-sewing needle used for performing a wide variety of craft techniques. This needle usually has a blunt point and a long eye. The long eye accommodates fabrics and threads with a greater thickness than the ordinary yarns and sewing threads.
Tapestry needles are also designed long enough such that they can accommodate embroidery projects or crochet thread. There are even larger tapestry needles that can accommodate bulky yarns. These needles are used for craft techniques such as cross-stitch, knitting, sewing, embroidery, and crochet.
Best Reviewed Tapestry Needles
The following are ten of the best tapestry needles you should consider buying:
- Dimension - 2 ¾ inches long. 8-PACK knitting needles and crochet needles of size 16 in 4 colors.
- Curved tip - The bent tip tapestry needle is easier to hook under rather than the straight metal needles. Durable and lightweight. It's much easier to get in and around stitches to hide tails...
- Large eyes - These bent darning needles for knitting is much stronger than plastic darning needles. The holes of these darning needles kids are big enough for threaders to thread thick yarns easily...
- Transparent box - A storage box comes with the bent tip tapestry needle. It's helpful, safe and light, convenient to carry.
- Vivid color - The color of darning needles are bright, and easy to find them. Add great attraction to your project.
The Needle is 2.75 inches long. It features a curved tip, which makes it easier to hook under. Also, the needle is very lightweight, such that it can be passed in and around stitches with great ease.
The tapestry needles package comes enclosed in a light, transparent box which can be carried very easily. The package also includes colorful darning needles. The bright colors of these darning needles make it easy to identify and find them when crafting.
- The large eye blunt needles are good for weaving in ends and sewing up seams on your knit and crochet projects. Also called Bent tapestry needles, darning needles, or finishing needles;
- The 3 wool needles((2.25mm, 2.75mm and 3.25mm) are perfect for all yarn types! They have blunt ends to avoid injury while sewing knitted projects and cord eye for easy threading."Must Have" when...
- The aluminum bent tip tapestry needle is easier to hook under rather than the straight metal needles. It is much stronger durable than plastic yarn needles.
- Package: 6pcs Jumbo Bent Tapestry Needles and 3pcs cord eye Wool Needles in different sizes
- They come in sturdy Transparent box,so they don't get lost.Great for any Knitters & Crocheters! Add to Cart now!
The Wool Needles package comes with three different-sized needles (3.25mm, 2.75mm, and 2.25mm). These needles have blunt ends, which prevent injuries during sewing. Also, the needles are designed with a code eye that ensures easier threading.
The large eye needle is ideal for sewing up seams and weaving in ends. Its bent tips are made using aluminum material. Therefore, compared with other plastic needles, the Wool tapestry needle for crochet and knitting is more durable.
- 【8 Pcs Sewing Yarn Needles】Needle set including 8 Pcs jumbo bent tapestry needleunt needles steel yarn knitting needles; Vibrant color(COLOR RANDOM). A little helper in your crochet project.
- 【Needles with Curved Tip】Blunt tip needles curved tip which is easier to hook than the straight steel needles,saving you a lot of time. Our darning needles in vibrant colors are certain to become...
- 【Multipurpose Use】The large tapestry sewing needle suitable for crocheting, sewing, threading, quilt, embroidery knit, needlework, craft etc. Warm Tips: The bent tip tapestry needle is easier to...
- 【Come with Storage Container】These blunt knitting needles are packed in a clear bottle, easy and convenient to carry and store, so they don't get lost. Great useful in sewing knitting projects.
- 【Premium Material】The large eye bent tip tapestry needle made of steel, durable and lightweight. Knitting Sewing Needle set is an essential accessories in your sewing set
The Jumbo Bent Tapestry Needle package includes eight pieces of yarn needles. Each of these needles has its unique, vibrant color, which makes it easier to identify them. The needles can be used for different projects, such as knitting, weaving, sewing, embroidery, threading, quilting, and crochet projects.
The blunt tips of the tapestry needles are curved. Hence, it is easier to hook using these needles than with straight needles. The needles are packed in a clear bottle, which can be quickly and conveniently carried anywhere.
- Package Dimensions: 0.508 H x 8.128 L x 3.555 W (centimeters)
- Package Weight: 0.022 pounds
- Country of Origin : France
Bohin Tapestry Hand Needles are designed with a blunt point. This blunt point makes them most suitable for use on canvas. The needles are also very lightweight, with the package having a net weight of 0.022 pounds.
The tapestry hand needles package includes six tapestry needles. These come in a wide variety of sizes, such that they can be used for all tapestry stitching needs. The needles have large eyes and are also highly durable.
- Value Blunt Needle Set：This blunt needle set includes 5 pieces 7cm/2.8 inch, 5pieces 6 cm/ 2.4 inch, 5 pieces 5.4 cm / 2.0 inch blunt needles, to satisfy you different needs of knitting art, super...
- Widely Used：These crochet stitches are great for knitting and crocheting projects to knit the ends and stitch the seams. They can also be used to repair jute carpets or repaired vinyl upholstery and...
- Easy to handle: with extra long eye, Blunt needle and thick shaft, the stitching needles are easy to thread yarn through even without a threader Blunt needle,Won't hurt your fingers
- Wide application: In addition to sewing leather, these big eye needles can also be used for other knitting, such as embroidery, sewing, cross stitch, etc.
- Large eye hand needles: these needle with large eye is easy to thread by hand even for a person with poor eye sight and poor coordination with her hands
The Large Eye Blunt Sewing Needle set comes with 15 pieces of tapestry needles. These needles are in three different sizes: 2.8 inches, 2.4 inches, and 2.0 inches. Therefore, you will always have a tapestry needle for all your crafting art projects with this set.
The YKLbpd tapestry needles are ideal for knitting ends and stitching seams. The extra-long needle, thick shaft, and blunt tip make it easy to thread yarns using these stitching needles, regardless of whether they are coarse fabrics, light fabrics, or heavy fabrics. Also, the large eye hand needles make it possible for people with poor eyesight to use them comfortably.
- ✅16 Pcs Tapestry Needle Set -- 12 PCS metal blunt eye needles,3 PCS wool needles and 1 PCS ergonomic handle crochet hooks needles (size:3.5mm).
- ✅Steel Material -- Darning needles is made of allony，this sturdy and durable material can serve you a long period,smooth edges make it easier to stitch, they are painted with vivid color,which let...
- ✅Large-eye Design -- All the bent needles are in design of long and big eye hole,allowing different sizes of woolen yarn to go through,the whole process will become easier,efficient and practical.
- ✅Bent Tip Tapestry Needles -- The bent tip tapestry needle is easier to hook under rather than the straight metal needles.It's much easier to get in and around stitches to hide tails...
- ✅Handy for a Knitter -- Delicate appearance will cater to craft lover,an ideal gift to friends,family and people who like DIY,it works well in the sewing knitting yarn needlework crafts.
The Yarn Needle, Tapestry Needle set includes three pieces of wool needles, 12 pieces of metal needles, and one crochet hook. The darning needles are built using steel-alloy material, which makes them very durable and sturdy.
The smooth edges of the needles make it easy to stitch. Also, the needles are painted with bright colors, making it easier to identify them. Their large-eye designs allow for different sizes of yarn to go through very smoothly.
7.) Tapestry Needles
- TAPESTRY Hand Sewing Needles - good for craft and crochet projects
- VALUE FOR MONEY: includes 15 tapestry needle for knitting
- EASY TO HANDLE: extra long eye, blunt tip thick shaft
- QUANTITY: 15 pcs tapestry needles sizes: 2", 1.8", 1.5"
- FOR HANDHELD USE : each big eye blunt needle is made of high quality stainless steel, rust resistant and is durable
The Tapestry Hand Sewing Needles package comes with 15 tapestry needles of three different sizes, that is, 2 inches, 1.8 inches, and 1.5 inches. The different sizes make the needles ideal for crafting, weaving, and crocheting projects that use handmade fabrics.
Also, these tapestry needles are designed with a blunt tip, extra-long eye, and thick shaft. They are constructed from high-quality stainless steel material, which makes them highly durable and rust-resistant.
- TAPESTRY Hand Sewing Needles - good for knitting and crochet projects
- VALUE FOR MONEY: includes 9 Blunt Steel Needles
- EASY TO HANDLE: Extra long eye, blunt tip thick shaft
- QUANTITY: 9 Pcs Blunt Yarn Needles Size 2", 2.3", 2.7"
- FOR HANDHELD USE : Each Big Eye Blunt Needle is made of high quality Stainless steel, rust resistant and is durable
Large Eye Blunt Sewing Needles set includes nine pieces of tapestry needles. These knitting needles are in 3 different sizes; 2 inches, 2.3 inches, and 2.7 inches. Therefore, the tapestry needles can be used for a wide variety of knitting, weaving, and bulky projects.
The blunt tips and extra-long eyes of the tapestry needles make them very easy and comfortable to use. The blunt needles are made of stainless steel, ensuring that the needles neither rust nor break easily.
- Well Packed -- Coming with 12 pieces yarn knitting needles, and 2 piece of plastic storage box, the box is giving to you to store and hold the needles and other small items, keeping inner things safe...
- Bent Needles Size -- The sewing needles each 7cm in length. The bent tip tapestry needle is easier to hook under rather than the straight metal needles. It's much easier to get in and around stitches...
- Steel Material -- this sturdy and durable material can serve you a long period, smooth edges make it easier to stitch, they are painted with vivid color, which let you enjoy needlework projects.
- Big Eyes For Easy Threading -- It features a long and big eye hole, allowing different sizes of woolen yarn to go through, the whole process will become easier and save time.
- Easy To Use -- Tapestry needles are absolute necessities for finishing your knitting and can be used for everything from weaving in ends to sewing seams together. The bent, blunt needle tip lends ease...
The Yarn Knitting Needles set comes with 12 pieces of needles. The needles are usually in six different colors, and they are well packed in a 2-piece storage box made of plastic. This box provides a safe and secure place for holding the tapestry needles and other knitting accessories.
Each tapestry needle for knitting has a length of 7cm. The needles have bent tips; hence, they hook under much more effortless than straight needles. Also, the needles are built using durable steel material, and they are painted with vivid colors for easier identification.
- 5 Different sizes of needles include tapestry needles size 14, 16, 18, 20, 24 and meet your different DIY requirements.
- Includes 25 pieces of steel cross stitch needles - five pcs of each size and large eye needles threader.
- Tapestry needle with a large eye. These blunt needles are easy to thread.
- Good needlepoint needles set in needle case. One clear plastic bottle convenient to carry and store.
- Use these darning needles for crochet, needlepoint, cross-stitch, decorative stitching, and other craft projects.
As the name suggests, this tapestry needle set comes with needles of five different sizes. The largest needle size is 24, while the smallest needle is size 14. The package includes 25 pieces of cross stitching needles, which can be used for all projects, from crocheting to cross-stitching to decorative stitching.
The blunt tips and large eyes of the tapestry needles make them easy to thread. Also, they come in clear plastic storage, which provides the right storage place for the needles and makes it easier to carry them.
How to Choose a Tapestry Needle
For knitting and crocheting projects, use the smallest tapestry. These little needles can accommodate the yarn or thread that you are working with. Also, avoid using huge tapestry needles on dainty thread crocheting projects, as these tend to create big holes, making the fabric wider than intended.
Use the larger needles only if you use fibers that don’t fit comfortably through the needle eye. Also, do not use tapestry needles that are too small since these can easily waste canvas and linen or even damage your fiber, which in turn ruins your entire project in the long run.
Tapestry Needle Sizes
There are different sizes of tapestry needles. The wide variety of lengths makes it possible for crafters to carry out various projects comfortably. These tapestry needle sizes can be categorized as large sizes and small sizes.
Also, most of the tapestry needles are numbered. These numbers can be used to determine the size of the needles. The larger needles have smaller numbers, while the smaller needles have larger numbers. Also, note that a larger weave means a smaller fabric count and vice versa.
Types of Tapestry Needle
There are two types of tapestry needles:
- Bent tip tapestry needles – These needles are ideal for knitting and crocheting projects. They make it possible to grab one stitch at a time, eliminating the need to pull on them when lifting the needle.
- Curved tapestry needles – These tapestry needles ensure that the distance between stitches is always even. They are also ideal for projects that use plastic canvas and perforated paper.
Uses of Tapestry Needles
Tapestry needles are the best needles for cross stitching, especially when using Aida cloth. These needles ensure that the project is always on an even grid and the lines are maintained straight.
It also used for plastic canvas projects. These crafts do not require any piercing or brushing with a sharp tip. Hence, tapestry needles make the ideal tools to use for these canvas projects.
In knitting and crocheting, tapestry needles can also be used to create tight stitches. More so, knitters and crocheters use them for sewing material together while preventing any snagging of yarn.
Are Tapestry Needles the Same as Embroidery Needles?
Tapestry needles are quite different from embroidery needles. For instance, while tapestry needles have blunt tips, embroidery needles have very sharp points that move easily through the fabric. Also, embroidery needles tend to be thinner than tapestry needles.
What Size Tapestry Needle do I Need?
Although there are different sizes of tapestry needles, the most commonly used are sizes 24 and 26. Sizes 24 and 26 are especially ideal for tapestry cross stitch. However, when using size 28 needles, such as on 36 count fabric, ensure that you only use a single strand of floss to prevent breaking the needle eye.
What is a Tapestry Needle Used for?
Tapestry needles are used for both crocheting and knitting projects. In these projects, the needles are used to join pieces of fabric together, change the color of yarn, and ensure secure weaving of the weaving yarn end.
What can I Use Instead of a Tapestry Needle?
As an alternative to tapestry needles, crafters can also use crochet yarn needles. Yarn needles and tapestry needles are very similar, such that most crafters even use these interchangeably. Therefore, crochet yarn needles make the perfect alternative for tapestry needles.
Is a Tapestry Needle the Same as a Darning Needle?
Similar to a tapestry needle, a darning needle has large eyes and blunt tips. The only difference between the two types of needles is that darning needles tend to be longer than tapestry needles.
Choosing a tapestry needle can be a daunting challenge, especially for beginners. However, this well-researched guide can help you select the best tapestry needles. So, invest in one of the above best tapestry needles and make your crafting journey an enjoyable one.