Maybe you have just begun learning how to weave or are thinking about venturing into the weaving business. You may feel confused about what tools you will need and how to go about the weaving process. This article will help you to understand what essential tools you will require when weaving, as well as all the basic information that you need to have, to ensure a successful weaving activity.
What is the Best Weaving Loom for Beginners?
Loom is the most essential weaving tools that you will require when weaving. Weaving looms are usually threaded with a warp, such that the user can easily weave through a variety of colors and fillings. There are plenty of hand weaving high quality looms sold in the market. If you are to successfully weave using a loom, you should always ensure that you go for the best weaving loom kit.
Review of Top 5 Weaving Loom for Beginners
You may wonder; just which looms are ranked as best weaving looms for beginners? The following review discusses the 5 best weaving looms to buy for both kids and beginners;
1. Melissa & Doug Multi-Craft Loom
The Melissa & Doug Multi-Craft is an ideal loom for kids aged 6 years and above. It is designed with a large frame that can be easily adjusted. The loom package includes an over-sized wooden needle and a lengthy yarn of 91 yards. This yarn longer lengths also provides youngsters with a variety of rainbow colors for weaving colorful designs and patterns. Melissa & Doug Multi-Craft can be used as a loom for weaving textured fabrics such as scarves, drawstring projects, and tasseled coasters.
- This weaving Starter kit loom promotes different skills in young ones. For instance, it helps to improve concentration, coordination of the hands and eyes, the self-esteem of kids, as well as instill fine motor skills in these.
- It is designed with knobs that can be grasped easily, and can also be easily switched from craft to craft. This makes it an easy-to-use loom.
- The loom package includes 4 craft projects that users can choose from.
- The Melissa & Doug Multi-Craft loom comes with 3 animal picture tapestries that kids can use to learn how to weave colorful projects.
- It has a large frame size to weave balanced weaving with colored thread.
- The notches are 1/2 inches, which may sometimes call for the use of a larger yarn.
2. WILLOWDALE 25.2” H × 19.3” W Loom
The WILLOWDALE loom is an ideal gift to get for a weaving beginner. The loom package is usually very generous. It comes with 2 side large frames, 2 warp beams, 3 large shuttles, a single wooden stick, 2 frames, one wooden comb, a single dent heddle bar, 2 support frames, several bolts, nuts, and other accessories. The WILLOWDALE loom can be used for weaving mats, scarves, tapestries, and carpets. All the textured fabrics weave by this loom looks very attrective.
- This particular loom is designed with a flat and smooth groove. The exquisite workmanship of the groove helps to prevent any damages from the opponent.
- The built-in groove is safer, as it minimizes the associated abrasion of wool when the weaving project is ongoing.
- This hard beech loom features high-quality warp beam teeth and a very sturdy frame. All these work to ensure the durability and long-lasting.
- The frame of the WILLOWDALE large loom is designed with an easily adjustable stand.
- The assembling process is quite simple, requiring only a few minutes to fully assemble.
- It can be easily used by kids and helps to promote multiple skill development, such as better concentration and fine motor skills.
- Both the top and bottom brackets of the loom frequently bow, hence are not as strong as is expected.
- The instructions are very brief and confusing, which may make its assembling quite challenging.
3. Mikimiqi Wooden Multi-Craft Loom
The unique design of this Wooden loom mainly takes after the traditional weaving process. Since the traditional weaving process was very simple, it promotes easier weaving activity, as compared to other looms. Its simplicity is what makes it the best loom for beginners.
This wooden loom is mainly designed for kids aged 6 years and above. It has large frame size dimensions of 9.85 × 15.75 × 1.3 inches and provides users with a working width of approximately 8 inches. The Mikimiqi loom can be used to make scarves, woven tapestries, among other knitting items.
- The loom is built using polish wooden material, which makes it a very comfortable and safe. Therefore, even kids can safely use it.
- It is designed with a metal screw regulator, which makes it easier to adjust the frame, as well as switch the strings and make them tighter.
- When used by kids, it is not only increase their interests but also helps to improve their manipulative abilities and hand-eye coordination.
- The simple design of this weaving large loom makes it very easy to use, and also promotes a faster learning process among users.
- The wood lacks any light sanding using grit paper.
- The Mikimiqi loom doesn’t come with proper instructions. It only includes a paper that directs users to YouTube clips.
4. Ashford SampleIt Loom
The Ashford Samplelt can be used by all weavers, whether beginners or experienced. It is perfect for beginners, as it easily teaches this how’s to sample yarns and other new weaving techniques. This is both fun and easy to use. However, the Ashford Samplelt loom package does not include a stand.
- The structure of the Ashford Samplelt is built using the natural silver beechwood timber. This solid timber not only adds to the beautiful design of the loom but also enhances the durability of the loom due to its sturdy state.
- It allows users to sample all their preferred rigid dent heddle patterns.
- It provides users with ample working space, such that even larger weaving projects can be undertaken with the loom.
- It is designed with a notch. Resting this notch on a flat surface/table makes it possible for users to weave on their laps, which promotes a faster and easier weaving.
- It is a small and lightweight, such that it can be easily carried around and stored.
- The natural silver beechwood used to make the table has no finishing.
- The Ashford Samplelt loom comes unassembled, which can be quite inconveniencing for most beginners.
5. FOCCTS Wooden Multi-Craft Loom
This is another ideal loom for kids aged 6 years and above. The simple, yet sturdy design of the FOCCTS Multi-Craft loom makes weaving very easy for beginners, with the loom lasting for a long time duration. This harness loom can be used for creating beautiful wall hangings, phone cases, coasters, handbags, doll blankets, and even unique bookmarks. It allows users to be as creative as they can.
- The FOCCTS loom is very easy to use, making it ideal for beginners and kids.
- The structure includes a metal screw regulator, which functions to change the frame, and also tighten the loose strings.
- It is designed with a notched dent heddle bar, which promotes a faster weaving process.
- It is made using pure natural wood, which is not only eco-friendly but also highly durable and non-toxic. This material, therefore, makes the loom safe and comfortable for use by kids.
- Weaving using this loom helps to improve the concentration and coordination of kids.
- It does not come with instructions.
Basics of Weaving and Looms
Hand weaving is quite a simple process. When most of us were kids, we probably engaged in some paper weaving projects, either on cardboard or using plastic cups. This weaving process of weaving under a yarn, then over the other next yarn, is what is referred to as the ‘over-under’ method (plain weave). The same plain weave concept also applies in weaving using a loom.
However, before you can embark on your weaving project, there are 3 important things that you need to do. These are;
1. Prepare a Shed Stick
A shed stick refers to the thin piece of plastic or wood, that makes it possible for users to weave between the yarn and warp. Preparing a shed stick is very important as it helps to keep the yarns organized, as well as maintain the tension of all the warp yarns.
2. Add Warp Spacers
Before you can start weaving with any thicker yarn, it is very important that you first weave-in warp spacers. Warp spacers could either be long paper towels, or even wider pieces of card stock paper. Doing so helps to provide enough space to tie the warp off at the latter part of the project.
3. Control Weaving Density
For every weft thread row that a person adds, they should add pressure, to secure the yarns. Pressure can be added using a loom comb/beater. This helps to control the weaving density, promoting a more successful weaving.
Types of Weaving Looms
Following all looms sold in the market, you must understand the basic classification of looms. The following are the 5 most common types of looms available in the market;
1.) Backstrap Looms
These looms are designed with a stationary object at one end, and a weaver on the other end. The warp is usually tied around both the stationary object and the weaver. They rank among the best loom for weaving scarves, leggings and other clothing.
2.) Tapestry Looms:
Tapestry looms are the simplest of looms, which makes them the best weaving loom for beginners. A good example of this is the frame loom. Other larger tapestry looms can hold even longer warps.
3.) Inkle Looms
This classification of looms is ideal for weaving narrow fabric strips. Inkle looms are usually portable and can be used by both beginners and advanced weavers. They can be used for making belts and straps.
4.) Table Looms
Compared to the floor weaving looms, table looms are relatively smaller and highly portable. This small weaving loom is mainly designed to be used either on stands or tabletops. Most table looms have 4 or 8 shafts. Shaft weaving give finest cloth rather than others.
5.) Floor Looms
Floor weaving looms are the largest of all home weaver looms. They are ideal for weaving of large projects. Also, these types of looms are usually freestanding. Floor weaving looms are mainly used to make fabric, rugs, linens for home use, as well as different accessories.
What to Consider When Choosing a Loom
Before choosing a loom, there are 3 several considerations that you need to keep in mind;
1.) Your Skill Level
Are you an advanced weaver, or just a beginner? If you intend to try out weaving as just a side project, you would do well to start with a small loom, such as the table loom or inkle looms.
2.) Type of Fabric
The type of fabric that you intend to make also influences what choice of loom to pick. Frame looms are most ideal for tapestry, while floor looms are best for creating larger pieces. However, if you don’t care about the size of the fabric, you can go for any type of loom.
3.) Amount of Space Available
When considering what best weaving loom for beginners to buy, you should first determine the space available to place both the equipment and loom. Floor looms have larger footprints, while most of the other looms have smaller footprints. Also, floor and table loom requires additional equipment, such as winders and warping boards. Therefore, you should ensure that you have enough space to store and place your loom.
How Does a Weaving Loom Work?
The functioning of a loom is not as complicated. When the user knits weft threads through the warps, the loom holds these warps in place. Therefore, by using different threads of multiple colors, the user can easily weave a variety of complex patterns, or even change the weaving method to create multiple textures.
What Do I Need to Start Weaving?
To start weaving, you will require 5 essential items. Major consideration are;
- A weaving loom
- Cotton warp
- Weaving needle
- Warp Yarn/ Weft Yar
- A weaving beater (a hairbrush can also work as a good alternative to a weaving beater)
- What Practical Things Can I Make Using a Weaving Loom?
There are many things that you can make using a loom. For instance, you can use it to make seat covers, denim, rugs, hats, bedsheets, baskets, drapes, curtains, drapes, hose cables, and even woven shoes. These are also used to make decorative items for houses and offices.
- What Would be a Good Hand Loom for a Beginner to Learn to Weave on?
Sometimes, beginners in weaving opt to start with handlooms, as they progress and advance to use other weaving loom machines. The most recommended handloom for beginners is that which has a pin loom for small pieces. Such handlooms have an added advantage in that; they are not only hand-held tools but are also usually cheap.
- How Much Does a Weaving Loom Cost?
Price is another important consideration that most weavers consider when purchasing loom for beginners. Most small looms are sold at a price of around $130, while the larger floor looms go for $4,400 and above.
However, do not let those price ranges scare you off. You can trust that you will always find an appropriate loom for your ideal price range. Also, remember that when calculating the cost of a weaving loom, you will also need to factor in the costs of the associated equipment, such as warp boards and shuttles.
- What is a Good Website to Learn About Weaving and Looms?
When you type in ‘weaving and looms’ on Google, you will see countless results. There are very many websites written about weaving and looming. Yet, not all of these websites are as effective and specific for beginners. Two most recommended websites for learning about weaving and looks are; Interweave and;
- What’s the Best Way to Learn How to Weave?
If you are to weave a project like an expert, then you need to learn how to do so properly. There are several ways in which you can learn how to weave. For instance, you can consult experienced weavers and have them teach you. Also, you can consider teaching yourself how to weave, by watching online weaving tutorials on different websites and platforms, such as YouTube.
However, the most effective way of learning how to weave would be signing up for online weaving courses. These courses register the best results when it comes to teaching beginners how to weave.
A weaving loom is a must-have tool if you are to engage in the weaving activity. However, this does not mean that you go for any loom sold in the market. Even as a beginner, you have the right to create beautiful weaving designs and pattern ideas. You can only achieve such perfect weaving designs with a high-quality loom. Therefore, get yourself or your loved one’s the best weaving loom for beginners discussed above, and see how you make your first project easily in a textured fabrics and in no time.