Crochet is a technique for knitting work with thread or wool and a specific short needle, the crochet hook, is made of metal, plastic or wood.
The crochet consists of passing a ring of thread over another whose base is a chain and on these, the other points of the crochet are made. The fabrics made using this technique can be from quilts, lace, centerpieces, clothing, etc. Knitting garments combining tricot and crochet makes the work more interesting and worked. The way of holding the crochet hook is very personal, it is generally held in the right hand. The left hand is used to control the wool and to hold the stitches as they are created. Lefties can learn how to hold a crochet hook and yarn this way or they can also reverse the instructions so they can be more comfortable.
Knitting is fascinating! Sometimes we sit for hours to learn how to knit is very important to do it in the correct posture. We give you some tips: Choose a comfortable chair, although the chair and its size also depend on your build. Sit up straight with your back straight and keep enough freedom to move your arms. Keep your elbows close to your body and support the work you are knitting in your lap, not in the air. The feet should be straight and touching the ground, nothing to cross the legs or feet.
Once you are ready to start knitting you need to know how to hold a crochet hook correctly and that is what we are going to teach you here.
How to hold a crochet hook and yarn for Beginners in some easy steps.
Hold the hook in a way that is comfortable for you. While there is no right way to hold the hook, there are two basic styles; they can be reversed, depending on what your dominant hand is. Holding the needle incorrectly can cause your hand to cramp and experience some pain.
There are no hard and fast rules on how best to hold hook and yarn for knitting crochet. Choose whichever way you find most comfortable.
- There are two methods to hold the hook; one of them is the Knife method in which you hold the hook so that the handle is resting on your palm. Your hand should go over the hook with your thumb and index finger positioned so that they are grasping the handle (an indentation in the handle). Besides, the Pencil method in this one you have to hold the hook as if you were holding a pencil. Your hand should go under the needle with your thumb and forefinger positioned on the grip.
- To learn how to knit, you need to learn how to catch the hooks. The thread can be held in either the right or left hand. There are two styles of knitting, with the left hand it is called continental style and with the right hand, we call it the English style.
- We recommend you try both until you find out which of the two you feel most comfortable with. No style can be classified as better, it all depends on your comfort.
- To hold the English-style hook (thread in the right hand) you must do the following, Put the thread in your fingers, then wrap the thread in your little finger, then you must pass the thread under the two middle fingers and finally over the index finger of your right hand.
- With the hook and the stitches already mounted in your left hand, you must grasp the empty needle with your right hand while the threads are intertwined in the dice to maintain tension.
- To hold the needle in the continental style (thread in the left hand) you must do the following Put the thread in your fingers, then wrap the thread in your little finger, then pass the thread under the two middle fingers and finally over the index finger of your left hand.
- With the needle of the stitches already mounted on your right hand, you must grasp the empty needle with your left hand while the threads are intertwined in the dice to maintain tension.
What to Know when Holding Crochet Hooks by Hand
Once you know how to hold the hook you will begin to knit, and that is why you need to learn how to mount a point. To mount the stitches on the hook you need to follow the next tips: Place the ball in your right hand and the strand in the left; then with your thread or wool, make a loop around the index of your right hand. Proceed to insert the needle through the loop from back to front and without releasing it, with the strand in your left hand go around the needle up and down pass the loops over the thread and close the stitch on the needle.
Watch Now: Tips for Holding Yarn for Crochet
Are you ready to knit? Put all our suggestions into practice, go ahead, and complete beautiful projects. Little by little and with a lot of patience, you will manage to learn and master all the techniques; it is only necessary perseverance and a lot of love. However, the main thing is to enjoy what you are doing, this will help you learn faster and get beautiful projects initiating in how to hold the hook.
Idea for Crochet Projects
You do not know what to knit but you want to start? Remember that you can get beautiful ideas in magazines and books dedicated to weaving; you can also download them from the Internet. Remember that before learning how to knit, you must also learn to knit in the correct posture, not only because of the comfort you achieve when knitting but also forget about neck and hand pain, knitting is fun.
Knitting is extremely relaxing; it is the best anti-stress tool. You start to count points, laps, you look at how you should place the wool, and it seems that the world around you is going out because the level of concentration required requires it. Knitting alone is fun and relaxing, but even more fun if you knit in the company. Knitting sharing conversation is priceless.