Singer is an older company when compared with brother. In the market, both are pretty popular in terms of sales and popularity. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages.
This article has been written with no intention of endorsing any particular product. It is aimed at helping you get a clear picture of what both of these products are all about and which is best suited to your needs.
I am sure that after reading this article you will be in a position to make an informed decision.
What to look for in a sewing machine?
A sewing machine is a must-have for cloth sewists. Even if you do not use one very often, it is still an essential tool that is required for all sorts of purposes.
If you are thinking of buying your first or next sewing machine, you need to consider a whole range of things before purchasing.
For a start, it is important to determine exactly what your level of expertise is in terms of sewing machines.
Do you have prior experience? If yes, then it is worth thinking about the type of sewing machine that you are likely to use most often.
Do you intend to use it for home or commercial use? If you are buying it for commercial purposes, is there a particular brand of sewing machine that is most popular where you live?
In this regard, I should mention that Singer is probably more dominant than Brother in terms of global sales.
If you are familiar with a particular brand, it is sensible to buy a similar product in terms of features, and they are more affordable than the high-end model. The reason is very simple – everybody starts with an entry-level machine before eventually moving onto higher-end models.
It is best to purchase your first sewing machine, a best-selling model within the popular range of sewing machines.
Usually, these products are more affordable than high-end models. For this reason, it is relatively easy to find them in department stores or shopping centres across your local area.
Which is better, the Brother or the Singer?
There’s no clear winner in this debate – it depends on what you need your machine to do. Here, we will go into what is better in terms of usability, features, and price.
Here is a quick rundown of the pros and cons:
Singer Sewing Machines:
Singer is an old American brand well-known for its quality and durability at a low cost. They offer more features than most competitors too. They are known for providing more features at a lower price.
Singer is probably the most recognized brand of sewing machines in the world. It is one of the oldest and most well-known brands for home sewing machines. There is no surprise to see why it is still among the best-selling sewing machine brands.
Pros of Singer Sewing Machine:
- Singer is probably your best bet if you need your machine to do regular sewing, buttonholes, zips, and lace embroidery.
- Singer is a good and all-rounder sewing machine and is designed to be a high-quality, versatile product suitable for beginners and professionals.
- Singer Sewing Machines are more popular in the US and Canada than brother machines, but you can find them on Amazon and eBay or other online stores.
- They are known for their durability, which in many cases may last for more than twenty years. Most models can do the basic sewing tasks in an impressive, efficient manner.
Cons of Singer Sewing Machine:
- There is a common problem with Singer that the bobbin is hard to change. Also, some of them are terrible.
- Singer is not designed to do free-motion quilting, which is considered an important feature by many people who are into this kind of stitching.
Brother Sewing Machines:
Brother is a relatively new company compared to Singer but is not any less popular than Singer in terms of sales and is probably one of the most popular brands in the USA. If you are planning to buy a sewing machine for your home, Brother is worth considering.
Pros of Brother Sewing Machine Brand:
- Brother sewing machines are more affordable than singers.
- They have better features, like the ability to do embroidery and quilting.
- Brother sewing machines come with a 25-year warranty, which is much better than Singer’s 5-year warranty.
- The customer service department at Brother is very responsive and helpful.
- Brother has an active Facebook page where you can find tutorials on using your machine and get answers to any questions you might have about it.
- There are many reviews of brother sewing machines online that will help you decide which one is best for you.
Cons of Brother Sewing Machine Brand:
- Some of the quality is not as good as Singer sewing machine brand.
- Brother might also be a bit more difficult to use compared to Singer.
- Brother sewing machines may have excessive vibration if you do too much free motion maneuvering, which might lead to spoiling your project and/or damaging the machine.
Which is better for you?
Brother is known for its affordable price range and durability for daily use.
When it comes to Singer, I would be better positioned to make an informed assessment of both the brands once I have had experience using both of them. Currently, since most of my sewing is done at home on a Brother sewing machine, I would still be inclined to use it for my next purchase.
Read more: Can you use a machine during pregnancy?
Why one might be better than the other?
If you are looking forward to buying your first sewing machine for relatively light use, I would suggest you go with Brother.
If you are looking forward to buying a machine that will last for many years despite heavy usage, then Singer is the choice, which is an excellent brand for its durability.
It is very important to buy a sewing machine that does not break the bank and has all the features you would need to operate efficiently as possible. So make sure to choose wisely and read reviews of different machines that can help you make an informed decision.
All in all, If you are considering between Singer or brother, I would suggest you to go with Brother. It is reasonably priced and is one of the best machines in the market today. The customer reviews speak for themselves.