JUKI’s HZL-G220 is a compact, entry-level sewing and quilting machine together that doesn’t compromise on quality or performance.
This post will be an in-depth review of Juki’s HZL-G220 — from its features to its capabilities to its pros and cons, this post covers all the specifications of the HZL-G220.
This guide will be a shortened version of it, giving you enough information, so you know what the Juki HZL G220 is good for and whether it’s worth your money.
Now, let’s begin.
JUKI HZL-G220 Features Table:
Before we dive into the review, let’s see the machine’s full features table and what it can do.
- BOX FEED: Industrial Sewing Machine Technology: In order to provide beautiful seams and outstanding feed performance, JUKI adopted box feed system. The conventional feed mechanism is oval motion. On...
- CAPABILITY TO SEW FROM LIGHT TO HEAVY WEIGHT MATERIALS: No fabric shrinkage even sewing on extra lightweight materials. Thick handle can be sewn with ease, Powerful Feeding: HZL-G series has powerful...
- WIDE SEWING SPACE: HZL-G series has a wide underarm space. It is more enjoyable and comfortable to work with large projects | High Quality Buttonholes: HZL-G series sews beautiful buttonholes...
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: The Automatic Needle Threader easily threads the needle without eyestrain and allows you to start sewing quickly
- QUICK BOBBIN PREPARATION: Just follow the guide and it is not necessary to pull up the bobbin thread | Other Features: LED Light, Fine Overcasting Stitch, Drop Feed
Now let’s break down piece by piece and see what this sewing machine exactly has to offer.
- Looking at the Juki HZL-G220 from a bird’s eye view, it’s quite small and compact. It might be compact, but it makes up for it in quality and performance.
- There are many entry-level sewing machines available on the market today that are twice as big as the HZL-G220, yet they can’t offer HALF of what this bad boy can do.
- I’ve seen many customer reviews about the Juki HZL-G220 sewing machine, and they all had one thing in common; they were extremely satisfied with the machine’s quality.
- It’s not uncommon to hear veteran seamstresses praise Juki’s products. They are one of the most reliable brands on the market that delivers high-quality products.
- The Juki HZL-G220 is a portable, affordable machine that can do pretty much everything you’d ever need from a sewing machine. Primarily built for home use and dressmaking, it’s perfect for anyone looking to get into sewing without investing too much in a machine they may not use.
- It has a bright LCD and computerized control system, making it easy to operate. The stitch selector, stitch width, and needle position buttons are all easily accessible without looking at the machine.
- With a maximum stitch length of 7mm and minimum stitch width of 2mm, you’re sure to find any stitch you need on this machine. That’s pretty significant for a home machine like this!
- The HZL-G220 has Multi-stitch functions of 180 stitches and eight high-quality one-step buttonholes. Its 8-step buttonhole is useful when making buttonholes of different sizes.
- It has a maximum sewing speed of 900 stitches per minute, which is pretty good for a home/dressmaking machine. It’s also got a built-in needle threader, which will surely save you a lot of time and effort when threading the needle.
- Other notable features include automatic backtacking and thread cutter (which appears at the bottom of the needle on the left side).
- Moving on, Auto Thread Trimming Function enables you to trim the thread automatically by pressing a button. You don’t have to worry about altering the thread length or even having to cut the thread yourself manually with this function.
- It has a locking stitch button, which prevents the presser foot from inadvertently moving when you’re not using it.
- In addition to the built-in sewing light (which also acts as an automatic needle threader), there is also a Juki HZL-G220 LED lighting system, which turns on automatically when the power is turned on. It’s powered by 2 AAA batteries and is rechargeable (via USB cable).
- You can keep the light/needle threader/LED powered by turning the power on and off. It also has a countdown timer, which is built into the machine.
- The machine comes with accessories you can use, which is pretty convenient.
- The stitch quality on this machine is amazing — I must say it’s the best stitch quality I’ve seen on any straight stitch sewing machine (with a maximum stitch length of 5mm). And let me tell you why.
- First of all, this sewing stylist has an adjustable presser foot pressure regulator, enabling you to decide how much pressure you want to put on the fabric.
- This feature is crucial for achieving professional-level quality of stitches in sewing. Most entry-level sewing machines don’t even have this feature, so finding a machine that does is already a step up from the rest.
- The Juki HZL-G220 also has an adjustable needle position, which is a cool feature that you don’t often see on any sewing machine. This is because it helps improve stitch quality when you’ve got a lot of bulk on your fabric, and you’re trying to sew through it.
- Besides, the sewing machine has a thread cutter built right onto the needle. This is crucial because it eliminates the hassle of having to cut threads manually. You can sit down, press a button, and you’re all done. Very easy.
- In terms of machine weight, it has a maximum weight of 9 kg (21 pounds). You can estimate how much it weighs in your hands based on its size and materials used in its construction.
So basically, with the right accessories and attachments, you can do almost anything you want. Even sew on garments that are too small to be worn by humans.
- Easy to use.
- Excellent stitch quality.
- Built-in thread cutter (automatically cuts thread) – cuts at the touch of your finger.
- Stitch width and length are adjustable (can be changed by turning the knobs on top of the machine) — ranging from 3mm to 5mm (stitch length) and 5mm to 7mm (stitch width).
- You can change the pressure at which the presser foot applies pressure on the fabric. This is crucial for achieving professional level quality in your stitches.
- It has an LED lighting system that turns on automatically when you turn on the machine (powered by 2 AAA batteries) — it couldn’t be easier.
- It has an automatic needle threader, a time-saving feature that ensures you don’t have to get your hands dirty by manually threading needles.
- The thread cutter is not on the needle. You have to go and lift up the whole machine to see where it is. This is possibly the only con that can think of.
- You might have to make some adjustments to fit your fabric (a bit of trial and error).
- This is not a very heavy-duty machine – best for sewing light materials, no thicker than 1mm. It works well with medium-weight fabric, but you might have to play with the pressure regulator to get quality stitches.
- Thread tension can be an issue. You can fix it by making small adjustments at the back of the machine. I have never had this problem, though, even with cheap thread that can give me issues on other machines in the past.
What kind of fabric can it sew?
It can sew just about anything, from denim to leather — it’s truly a universal sewing machine.
What kind of fabric should you avoid?
I would advise you to avoid using super thick or flimsy fabrics.
What accessories are available?
There are a wide variety of accessories that you can use with your Juki HZL-G220 sewing machine. You can view them by clicking here and then select the “Accessories” category.
Where to buy this machine?
You can purchase this on Amazon, which is a great place to find out about products like this.
What is the warranty on this sewing machine?
There is a standard five years mechanical warranty for this machine.
Can you use it for quilting?
Yes, you can use it for quilting; make sure to choose a heavier-duty needle (more on that in the next section).
What kind of needles should I use?
You should always go with a standard sewing needle that’s meant for universal sewing machines.
What are the best sewing machine needles for this machine?
Hope you enjoyed this review on the Juki HZL-G220 sewing machine. To purchase it, click here. It’s a great bargain at under $800. Make sure you check out the other affordable great quilting machines we recommend here as well.